My Question: Beef Tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdo7159

Assistant Cook
Hi all. I have what I hope is an easy question. What's the best way to grill a whole beef tenderloin? Would I be better off doing it direct heat or indierct? Either way, how long would I leave it on the grill? Thanks for any and all assistance.

Actually, if its a whole tenderloin you are going to want to do it direct first for a sear and then move it to indirect to finish....don't know how the temp crowd is in your house but I usually cook mine to about 135* internal...the outter edges will be more done than the middle...adjust as necessary!!

I do mine direct at about 350 for 45 minutes, flipping about half way. Throw a chunk of pecan wood in for some good smoke.

Cook the tenderloin indirect in the 245*-260* range until you get an internal temp between 100*-105*. Remove from the grill and loosely tent with foil and get the heat up on the grill to between 350*-400* and sear on all sides until you hit 125*. Then remove from the heat, loosely tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes or so before slicing. This is the 'Reverse Sear' method and it works extremely well especially on lean cuts of meat. It 'tempers' the meat as it slowly comes up to 100*. This method with give you a uniform doneness throughout the cut, no grey on the outter sides of the meat as well as a very moist piece of meat.

Here are a couple examples of the reverse sear, with a top round steak and an eye of round, both very lean like a tenderloin.

2006danvilleanythingbut.jpg

run a knife through lengthwise in the center, hollow out, stuff with gorgonzola cheese and spinach mixture. (saute spinach in a little dry sherry, garlic, salt and pepper then add gorgonzola)

rub olive oil on outside, season with S&P and other herbs as you desire, then cook to desired temp using reverse sear method.

this is served with a gorgonzola cream sauce... pair with Cabernet Sovignon

Hi, sorry I haven't responded and let you guys know how it went, been under the weather lately so know grilling and smoking being done right now. Will let you all know how it goes when I can. Hope everyone is having great grilling times. Thanks for all the responses to my post.

Back
Top Bottom