My New Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toby Keil

Executive Chef
Today was a good day. I was working in my garage and what do I see coming down the street? Lawton Chaney with my new grill. I must say, that he is one of the nicest guys I have ever met, and he speaks highly of everyone at BBQ Central. I picked up a rack of spares and a rack of baby backs in hopes of using it tomorrow as I have to go to my wife's work Christmas party tonight. If it was up to me, I would stay home and grill but I'll be a good husband and go. I'll take pics of it's maiden voyage and post.

img_230403_0_9d2a69c2daec4b3402d7af303227423f.jpg

img_230403_1_9c68196c207e2b274b7595b4a0895c68.jpg

I'd deep six that party that bad boy would be fired up....or at least I'd pick something up on the way home to do a quick trial run

Yep, I'd be anxious to get out of the party so I could get home and cook on the new grill. Looking forward to the virgin run recap.

I love it! Congrats. There is a tiny learning curve but you'll do fine! I'd have been out there at midnight with a beer cooken away. Looks like he built ya a basket too. I put a curved piece of sheet metal in the bottom to catch the ashes and protect the drum. Make sure you use steel and not galvanized. Keep lots of oil in and on that thing and you won't have a lick of rust. Lawton and I are working on a Santa Maria attachment. He’s building the top portion of a Santa Maria with a bottom frame that will sit right where the food grate sits. I should have some picts when it’s done in Jan. Also you won’t have the luxury of snuffing the coals like on a Weber, so I built an ash can with a rack to dump the coal and extinguish it when I’m done cooken. The ash falls to the bottom coal sits on top. Sorry for the lengthy reply here, but I get so excited about this grill but I absolutely love it!!!!!!!!!!!

Tri Tip said:
I love it! Congrats. There is a tiny learning curve but you'll do fine! I'd have been out there at midnight with a beer cooken away. Looks like he built ya a basket too. I put a curved piece of sheet metal in the bottom to catch the ashes and protect the drum. Make sure you use steel and not galvanized. Keep lots of oil in and on that thing and you won't have a lick of rust. Lawton and I are working on a Santa Maria attachment. He’s building the top portion of a Santa Maria with a bottom frame that will sit right where the food grate sits. I should have some picts when it’s done in Jan. Also you won’t have the luxury of snuffing the coals like on a Weber, so I built an ash can with a rack to dump the coal and extinguish it when I’m done cooken. The ash falls to the bottom coal sits on top. Sorry for the lengthy reply here, but I get so excited about this grill but I absolutely love it!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Tri-Tip. I'm gonna use foil later today then maybe tomorrow I'll pick up some sheet metal. Can't wait to see the Santa Maria mod.

Congrats on the new grill Toby. Since Mike showed you the inside of his Chaney, I thought I would show you mine. :LOL: I built the charcoal basket with the same metal screen as the grill and used bolts to hold it together. It fits to one side of the pit on top of the charcoal screen and then I have a couple of half sheet aluminum trays next to it to catch the drippings from the indirect side of the pit.

Your grill will soon look like ours after a few cooks. Looking forward to the pictures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom