Moink Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
If I make 'Moink Balls' with homemade meatballs, aren't they still 'Moink Balls'? I had someone tell me that if you don't use frozen meatballs, they're not moink balls. That doesn't make a freaking bit of sense to me, but just wanted to run it past you monkey spankers for your opinions. A meatball wrapped in bacon regardless of whether it's a frozen ball or not is still a freaking 'Moink Ball' right??? :LOL:

When first tried them and was reading up I read that too. I thought it was stupid too. I have nothing against cutting corners and saving some time but making homemade meatballs for them just ensures a better final product in my way of thinking. And what is it called if its a frozen homemade meatball?

Smokey Lew said:
Hey Larry, it seems there's some truth on both sides of the issue. I've provided a link to the International MOINK Ball Appreciation Society's take on it. The answer is under the heading "All About MOINK" on the far right of the page.

http://www.thebbqgrail.com/MOINK/

All of this holds true of course unless you're dealing with blue balls. :LOL:
Which Larry most certainly is. :mrgreen:

IMO, as long it's a moo (hamburger) ball covered with Oink (bacon), it's a moink ball. Anyone says any thing else is a mouthpiece for the frozen food industry.

In my opinion (like it counts a whole lot) if you you make your own "Moink Balls" from scratch (wrapped in bacon) then it doesn't get any better than that!!!

"Moink Ball" is a term coined by a BBQ Blogger from Rocklin, CA by the name of Larry G. He is very, very, very active on the BBQ Brethren forums. He calls himself "BBQ Grail." All of a sudden Moink Balls became a craze due to BBQ Brethren exposure. The craze has carried as far as "Certifying" Moink Ball cookers etc. Reading Moink Ball certification instructions caused me to laugh--To be certified the recipe requires "Store Bought" frozen beef meatballs and wrapping with bacon yada yada. My Gawd let me get certified singing "Mary Had A Little Lamb." I questioned this on the BBQ Brethren forum and was suddenly the Anal One on BBQ Brethren.

"Bacon Wrapped Meatballs" is a recipe printed in "Southern Living" magazine in April 1979. "Bacon Wrapped Meatballs" have been around forever. I will continue making a snack that I call "Bacon Wrapped Meatballs." I will not buy inferior meatballs so that I can be a certified "Moink Ball" cook. So on BBQ Brethren I am a jerk.

BBQ Bloggers are BBQ Bloggers. Bloggers read things and blog about them. Thousands of posts on a popular forum means nothing to me. I respect BBQ folk from what they show me that they can do--not how good that they can write about it.

Continue making "Bacon Wrapped Meatballs"---and customize as you please---but you can't call them "Moink Balls" unless the meatballs come frozen from the store. I will see how long it takes this post to get back to "BBQ Brethren."

Puff said:
How much bacon would it take to wrap up Larry's head? Just sayin'. :mrgreen:

How long until you get promoted from head dishwasher at LazyBones and finally get to cook?

Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:

How long until you get promoted from head dishwasher at LazyBones and finally get to cook?
Is there really a "head dishwasher" at any restaraunt
? :LOL:
Head dishwasher to his crew: Ok boys here's how it's gonna' go down. You will wash, you will sanitize, and you, yes YOU, will rinse!!

Puff said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:

Is there really a "head dishwasher" at any restaraunt
? :LOL:
Head dishwasher to his crew: Ok boys here's how it's gonna' go down. You will wash, you will sanitize, and you, yes YOU, will rinse!!

Puff has said those words to himself many a day!

Can't imagine anyone making a valid, logical argument, that homemade meatballs, disqualify the appy as a Moink ball... But then again, there are those who thrive on being adament, argumentative, and anal :?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom