Korean Short Ribs and Kimchi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tri Tip

Head Chef
I work in sales for FedEx and one part of my territory is Westminster CA. It’s also known as Little Saigon. It’s heavily populated with Vietnamese culture. There are many Asian markets with so many cool foods to choose from. I frequently pick up Korean Spare/Short Ribs. They’re a cross section of beef ribs. I have made my own marinade in the past but you can buy it much cheaper. Korean BBQ sauce is basically a very very sweet and sticky Teriyaki like sauce with sesame seeds. You only have to marinate for about an hour and baste a lot while cooking. The meat is 5 times sweeter than most bbq. It’s like beef candy. Although I know how to make Kimchi, again it’s much easier to pick some up. It’s basically pickled cabbage with ground peppers anchovies sauce and tons of garlic. It tastes great if you can get past the smell.

Not yet in the marinade

Heaten up the Mesquite.

Got Rice?

Way cool Mike. Are my eyes deceiving me or are those asparagus the size of large carrots? On another matter, are you still happy with your drum grill? I'm planning on visiting your grill guy this week end and picking up one for myself.

I still love the Performer and the SMW but need something with a bit more grilling surface for larger gatherings.

I love Korean short ribs, they make good grub when I am out camping. I love kimchi too - kimchi jjigae is the best :)

Now I am hungry...

Smokey Lew said:
Way cool Mike. Are my eyes deceiving me or are those asparagus the size of large carrots? On another matter, are you still happy with your drum grill? I'm planning on visiting your grill guy this week end and picking up one for myself.

I still love the Performer and the SMW but need something with a bit more grilling surface for larger gatherings.

I am in love with it. It has sooo much charm and tradition to it. It takes some getting usto but once you do its awesome. I had him do some modifications to it. Charcoal basket and some extra metal welded all over since I take it on the road in my trailer quite a bit. The only only only shortfall is there is still paint on the inside when you first get it :( I told him you cannot cook with paint. The folks that buy them don't know or care so it's not worth the cost for him to strip out the paint. I grinded the paint out, but it took about 3 to 4 hours. You should be able to get the inside sandblasted for about $40 locally. Call some local powder coating shops to see. I also picked up a piece of 22 gauge sheet metal rolled to catch the ashes and protect the bottom of the drum. That was $20. You can see it some of my posts. msg me and will call ya if you need more info. You can cook so much food and it has about 4 different heat zones. I actually picked up a 26 in kettle and it still didn't have enough room I didn't want to get a ranhcer for 1000K and have to fight with the huge lid. He also uses two different drums. Mine is a tiny bit thicker it's the one with more ribs in it.

Great looking plate. I love those short ribs too, They are found at most Mexican Markets that have a meat counter also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom