Keep an Eye Out....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Our local Kroger stores have just stated carrying this "new" cut of steak, it is called a Flat Iron steak. Never heard of it, so in googling it, it seems that this is a rather new cut of meat from the shoulder and getting some good reviews. Suppose to be a tender, flavorful, steak. You might want to keep an eye out for it in your local stores and give it a try, if you haven't already.

Flat Iron steak is a blade steak with the hard center gristle removed,it is second in tenderness to prime rib hence making it a very nice cut to cook.The problem is many restaurants buy this cut,so it can be some what hard to find.Try it you will like it and its usually sold at a reasonable price.
Aaron

Cool, thanks Larry, think I'll pick some up tomorrow and do a little grillin' this weekend.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Helen_Paradise":3ds4xr0i]Flat, iron, and steak together in the same sentence just isn't right to me.

Almost as bad as Flat, chest and woman![/quote:3ds4xr0i]

OMFG... :shock:

I saw those at Kroger too. (The steaks and a few flat chested women)
Looks like buy one get one free Bruce [smilie=banana.gif]

That cut is not well known. Some meat counters cut them across the gristle line which products a slice of meat (1" thick) the size of a fillet, with a nasty piece of gristle running down the middle. Some call this a butter-fly steak. If the gristle is cut out it looks like a meat finger (more difficult to cook right). If the whole piece is cut along the gristle, them you get a nice 3/4" steak called flat iron. It is very tender and much cheaper than more chewy-er stuff. If you see it when looking for steak, by all means grab it.

Puff said:

Do you buy the woman or the steak? Steak will be cheaper I promise you! :LOL:

Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:

Christ, you can eat rib eyes 3 times a day for the rest of your life and save money! :LOL:

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":1nzwgwox]
Puff said:

Christ, you can eat rib eyes 3 times a day for the rest of your life and save money! :LOL:[/quote:1nzwgwox]

If it Floats, Flys or F$$$s, it always cheaper to rent.

Back
Top Bottom