Just put it in reverse and sear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cflatt

Sous Chef
I was taking a look at the staeks and came across this 1.89lb ribeye
img_149137_0_4772650176a2363c19abfed2323b26d7.jpg

img_149137_1_6441f9f4219150ae6fc7cc010953f5c4.jpg

Rubbed it with a bit of s&p

Put it on indirect until it hit 100 then ramped up the heat to 800 and brought the steak up to 128. Made for some good eats for 4.
img_149137_2_5763faf2e34a4afa1b79460fb0ad0f60.jpg

img_149137_3_6afcca76a9ff9826e17da8b0cbe97061.jpg

My OTG. Started another chimney up right after I put on the steak. then added it to the coals in one nice pile as well as opening up the lid a bit

Looks so d I'm cooking one today!!

Approx what temp do you cook indirect and do you flip during this time ?? Thanks

JACK Y C said:

Approx what temp do you cook indirect and do you flip during this time ?? Thanks

I kept the coals on one side and the steak on the other. Let the indirect side sit at about 250ish. Flipped it once and started another chimney of coals.When the steak reached around 100 I pulled it off and added the chimney and propped the lid back enough to let it get as much oxygen as possible. Didnt take long. Once it hit 750 -800 I put the steak back on and basically seared each side. That was about all it took to get it up to med-rare. I've been doing another version of this for a while, cook it indirect with a cast iron skillet over the coals. Then pull the steak at 100 and get as much heat as possible under the skillet and give the steak a slight crust on either side.

cflatt said:
JACK Y C said:

I kept the coals on one side and the steak on the other. Let the indirect side sit at about 250ish. Flipped it once and started another chimney of coals.When the steak reached around 100 I pulled it off and added the chimney and propped the lid back enough to let it get as much oxygen as possible. Didnt take long. Once it hit 750 -800 I put the steak back on and basically seared each side. That was about all it took to get it up to med-rare. I've been doing another version of this for a while, cook it indirect with a cast iron skillet over the coals. Then pull the steak at 100 and get as much heat as possible under the skillet and give the steak a slight crust on either side.

Curtis

Thanks for the info .. I tried this last night and seared it over a Weber Chimney 2/3 full of Kinsford. Man, it was perfect !!

Thanks again !!!

jc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom