I am getting hooked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

007bond-jb

Master Chef
Must not have much fat in the meat, Try heating a cast iron skillit on the grill put the pattys in the skillit to firm up for a min or 2 then grill to taste.

You could also try John A's method, Lay bacon under the meat.

Mango said:
on Buffalo. Grilled is my cooking choice stove top just looses something.

On the grill the burgers seem to fall apart. If you are not careful the bugger will just fall apart when you are ready to flip. that and some meat just sticks, well more then some sticks to the grill even with aerosol oil sprayed before had the meat just kind of wraps around the grill and locks itself on.

Any ideas to make my new found food fetish easier to manage on the grill?

Did the meat sear when it hit the grill? Or if it was at actual "room temperature" that could cause it to want to fall apart. I think also you are supposed to cook it really slow...............and yes, it is super lean meat 007 and sooooo yummy!

Mango said:
on Buffalo. Grilled is my cooking choice stove top just looses something.

On the grill the burgers seem to fall apart. If you are not careful the bugger will just fall apart when you are ready to flip. that and some meat just sticks, well more then some sticks to the grill even with aerosol oil sprayed before had the meat just kind of wraps around the grill and locks itself on.

Any ideas to make my new found food fetish easier to manage on the grill?

Correct me, but you live in Hawaii. Your beef may have a much higher fat content than ours here on the continent.

Treat you grate like a cast iron pan, season it. I have a couple of brass brushes that I use to brush off the big stuff that sticks to the grate, but other than than usually don't scrub the grates super clean. I brush them down after the cook, and oil them just before the cook. Make sure the grates are hot before the meat is put on. Try brushing a little oil on the burgers themselves before you put them on as well.

I also use two spatulas when I am turning something that might fall apart or fall through the grates, like fish or veggies. I use one to backstop the burger for example and scoop it up with the other, and I sometimes use the second one to hold the burger and flip it, then slide it carefully off and back on to the grill. If your burgers have a lot of fat in them or if you mix onions, veggies or cheese in them they will fall apart if you try to flip them like the preformed frozen burgers from the store, they are delicate.

It takes a bit of skill to flip them right, practice. Grill as often as you can and you will learn to use the hot spots and the cooler areas of your grill to make it cook the way you want it to. You will discover insights about your grill you never knew before.

It is a lot easier to play "Stairway to Heaven" the thousandth time then it is the first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom