How hot do you cook your steaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cook em hot and fast also. I like to "cap" the juices in by searing for 20-30 seconds one one side then flip.

From there I cook 4-5 min on each side depending on how thick the steak is. I like ribeyes the mostest. :LOL:

Bryan S said:
CarolinaQue said:
Bryan,

I think that the outcome of the steak has more to do with the grade of beef, and aging process that it goes through more than the temp it's cooked at.

Don't get me wrong though. A high temp is a factor, but I think that it's more minute than the other factors.

Tim
Not trying to start a war here but i think different, and here's why. If the temp was not so much a factor then why do these high end steak joints go through all the trouble and expense of installing those high heat/temp grills that at a bare minium do 1500-1800 degrees? If it was so minute then they would just put in a run of the mill 500-600 degree gril and be done with it. See grasshopper it's all about the sear/char/crust. Answer me this, what's the first part of that steak that hits your tounge, that's right it's the crust. ;) As always this is just my opinion. [smilie=a_movinggreen.gif]

Not saying that your point isn't valid. But put a steak just bought at the store, up against one that's been aged, and it won't matter what heat you cook it at. The store bought one will remain inferior.

Another reason for the high temp equipment could be time. The faster they can get the steaks out, the more they can sell, the more money they make in the long run.

When you pay for a steak at those places, you're not paying for the equipment, you're paying for a high quality, aged piece of meat.

But this is also just my opinion. No war starting intended.

Tim

I also think speed is the reason for the high heat resturant cook. They start them right at the heat and keep moving them away from the heat as they cook, thus allowing for another batch of steaks to be thrown on the grill.

Gas grills cook via convection, meaning they heat the air under the steak and the hot air cooks the steak. Charcoal, as in lump or briquets and infra- red cook via conduction, meaning they cook the steak directly. So.... If you want a charbroiled steak and you want the convenience of gas, then get an infra-red gas grill.

http://www.bbqguys.com/departments_TEC-Gas_Grills_path_8357.html?aid=17413291

They use one here at the cafeteria where I work and there is a definite char broiled taste on steaks, chicken, and burgers and they do not use the prime grade of meat that restaurants use.

You can't get that taste on a standard gas grill. IMHO

Al

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Bryan S":ryovdqle]Well i did some mods to my Smokey Joe Platnium to get the lump super hot for searing up steaks, but it still needs more. I'm guessing it's in the 800-1000 degree range at it's peak. :( I'm looking at adding a small fan to get into the 1500-1800 range. :D I talked to the maint guys at work the other day and they are going to let me borrow the infared temp gun to see how hot it is. 8)

Why? [smilie=a_whyme.gif][/quote:ryovdqle]

Bryan I heard a commercial for Ruth's Chris steakhouse on the way in this morning saying they do indeed cook their prime steaks at 1800*. So now I see what you're talking about, I never knew you could even cook a steak that hot. After searing they place the steak on a 500* skillet to finish cooking. I've eaten at a RC once and wasn't 100% satisfied with the product, considering the cost. Maybe I just got a bad steak though?

I have been to a handful of Ruths Chris around the country...luckily on someone elses tab. they have all been roughly the same, a good, not great , steak. theres a place in Nashville called Flemmings. The handful of times I have been there its ranked with some of the tops if not even a little better

I've eaten at rc's once it was good, but not super. If you're in Seattle try the Metropolitan Grill or Gauchos. The other guys money is a good at either place. Heck, if you're in Seattle, forget the steak houses and get seafood.

Griff

Griff said:
I've eaten at rc's once it was good, but not super. If you're in Seattle try the Metropolitan Grill or Gauchos. The other guys money is a good at either place. Heck, if you're in Seattle, forget the steak houses and get seafood.

Griff

I love the salmon at Chinook's over in the Fisherman's Warf!!!!

Tim

I'm a new guy here but been Q'n lot a years. High heat is the way to go for steaks. I have a old Char Broil cast aluminum charcoal grill with cast iron grates, raise the coal grate high as it will go & plop down the steaks.
The wife got me a new Char Broil convertable grill It can use propain or coals the problem WAS it didn't get hot enough (for me) plus cheap wire cookin grills. So got out my micro drill set & increased the orface in burners, now it'll hit 850. In charcoal mode it uses 2 brakets for the coal box to sit on about 1 inch above the gas jets. I bought a lodge cast iron grate & a cast iron gridle I set the grate rite over the burners & place the gridle on the warming rack. Fire that dog up let go for 15 min. plop them steaks rite on the grate for a min or 2 then to the hot gridle to finish em up. Result perfection, beautiful grill marks crisp crust from the gridle. Cookin the steaks in the fire is damm hot more than what the temp gadge reads. works great for burgers too.

007bond-jb said:
I'm a new guy here but been Q'n lot a years. High heat is the way to go for steaks. I have a old Char Broil cast aluminum charcoal grill with cast iron grates, raise the coal grate high as it will go & plop down the steaks.
The wife got me a new Char Broil convertable grill It can use propain or coals the problem WAS it didn't get hot enough (for me) plus cheap wire cookin grills. So got out my micro drill set & increased the orface in burners, now it'll hit 850. In charcoal mode it uses 2 brakets for the coal box to sit on about 1 inch above the gas jets. I bought a lodge gast iron grate & a cast iron gridle I set the grat rite over the burners & place the gridle on the warming rack. Fire that dog up let go for 15 min. plop them steaks rite on the grate for a min or 2 then to the hot gridle to finish em up. Result perfection, beautiful grill marks crisp crust from the gridle. Cookin the steaks in the fire is damm hot more than what the temp gadge reads. works great for burgers too.

I like the way this guy thinks. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom