homemade smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bj66

Assistant Cook
Im new to the forum so maybe this isnt the place to ask but here is my question. My buddies and i get together and do some smoking. So I decided to build a homemade smoker. I decided to be different and built it with the sides and top out of wood. I fired it up today and it holds a real constant temp, so far so good. The only problem is I built it out of tounge and groove pine. I figured id have to burn it several times to get rid of the resin/sap. I read tonight on the net that the resins arent good for you. Will I be ok if i burn it till i dont get anymore resins coming out of the wood? I dont plan on smoking with pine chips or anything like that. Just found the wood on sale. thanks in advance.

i thought about burning it several times first. Then maybe sanding all the crud out, then burning it again to make sure. then off to the races

Double dittos Scotty. Having a pit made out of pine is sorta like being the po one legged man at the coola kicking contest. Or shudder..The person who forgets to wear the black felt cowboy hat to a Bloomer Shucking contest. Them black hats drive the Master Race nuts ya know? No need to even mention the boots and spurs.

bigwheel

I get your point guys. Since it looks good on the outside, and has an angle iron frame and steel floor. It looks like it is going to be lined with sheetmetal on the inside. Should be ok that way. Glad I waited on making the grates etc. I wanted to see how the cabinet was gonna work. On to plan "B".

did some sanding on the wood top today and got rid of the varnishy crap, burnt it for another hour, and the varnishy crap was back. So my wood smoker is now a metal smoker. Aint gonna risk all the harmfull stuff in that varnish.

Back
Top Bottom