Heat Shield for Grill. - Page 2 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Grilling
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
Official BBQ Central Mark

Nice setup you have going there!! Why wouldn't you just move the gasser over to the concrete slab up against the house? Just curious?

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #12

You don't even need the foil facing on the plywood. Hold your hand above the grill near the window when your cooking. If you can comfortabley hold your hand on the glass close to the grill, don't worry about the glass. If you can't, put a piece of plywwod up. Seems like it will be more work puting the shield up and taking it down every time you cook than just moving the grill.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:47 PM   #13

After seeing your setup... It is my expert opinion that you don't need anything. The lid will diperse the heat enough that you shouldn't have to worry about it.

BTW... like the pergola. If I ever live at home again .................................................. .............................. I'm going to put one of those up at Casa Finney. 8-[ Oops... That should have been Castle Finney. :lmao:

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #14

...pergola schmergola :taunt:
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 PM   #15

I have got to chime in on this. I sell windows and doors at Lowes. Judging from the pic it is obvious that you are not going to burn your house down. My only concern for you is the stress you may put on the window itself. If the glass is getting hot enough for you to be concerned about it then you need to move the grill. The only thing between the glass and the frame is silicone which is not a high temp product. If the window fogs up and you can't see out of it any more then the seal between the insluated glass will have failed and you will be able to blame that directly on having the grill to close to the glass.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #16

I almost forgot something. To clarify the melt or shatter business. If you put one of those red heat lamps " the same ones used to reheat meat" about a 1/2" away from a insulated glass it will crack or shatter within thirty miniutes.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H.
I have got to chime in on this. I sell windows and doors at Lowes. Judging from the pic it is obvious that you are not going to burn your house down. My only concern for you is the stress you may put on the window itself. If the glass is getting hot enough for you to be concerned about it then you need to move the grill. The only thing between the glass and the frame is silicone which is not a high temp product. If the window fogs up and you can't see out of it any more then the seal between the insluated glass will have failed and you will be able to blame that directly on having the grill to close to the glass.
The glass on my fireplace doors are installed with silicone. I also have silicone mitts I use for my grill & smoker.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:07 AM   #18

[quote=Nick Prochilo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cliff H.":15lvdv90
The glass on my fireplace doors are installed with silicone. I also have silicone mitts I use for my grill & smoker.[/quote:15lvdv90]

There is high heat and low heat silicone.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:26 AM   #19

How low is low and how high is high? I've used regular GE silicone around fireplaces for years with no problems. Maybe I should switch to a different one?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
How low is low and how high is high? I've used regular GE silicone around fireplaces for years with no problems. Maybe I should switch to a different one?
You just can't find a competent Mason nowadays! Next thing you know you'll be using Play Dough to fill the gaps! 8-[ 8-[

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote