Gyro and Kofta Kabobs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vermin999

Executive Chef
Went to a Mediterranean store to pick up some ground lamb and came back with a bunch more stuff, mostly premade.

Used an Alton brown recipe to make gyro meat and then placed them on skewers. Gyro Meat with Tzatziki Sauce Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

The skewer idea is probably not necessary, I just thought it might hold them together better.
Saw some prepared Kofta so I got a pound to try. I ran out of metal skewers so they are on wooden skewers.

Skewers cooked indirect till 150* internal

Removed the metal skewers, they were in the way and finished cooking the kabobs direct to get some color on them.

Meat resting

Served on a pita with tzatziki sauce,tomatoes, red onion and dolmas, and tabbouleh, all premade at the store on the side. I forgot to get some Feta cheese and the meal was just not the same without it. Will pick up some tomorrow for leftovers for sure!!!

It looks great, even without the feta how was it? Any tweaks for the next time?

Pretty sure Kroger sells grape leaves in a jar. Pretty pricey. Used to be a high hat supper club place at Corpus which peddled what they called "Lebanese Cabbage Rolls" which was just about the best chow I ever had. Found out later they were most likely what passes for Dolmas in some geographies. i guess you just wrap the little gyros in a grape leaf perhaps?

Oh...ok..for a fella who cant find any there seems to be a bit of pickiness on the packaging. Cant you just wash them off under the water faucet Thats how krauts can eat canned kraut ya know? Sounds like a flavor killer to me but I dont judge inative american njun peeples till walking five miles in their moccasins while carrying a queen sized squaw piggy back.

Fresh grape leaves......fresh oak leaves.......fresh maple leaves would be the same thing.......naw they have to be soaked in brine and processed:rolleyes:

Well, I can not have all the salt because of my diet that I have to be on, and there are not any vineyards in Michigan that I know of, so I guess I can go with out.

Ok..cabbage leaves work too. The Frugal Prevert has a real good recipe. Let me know if you want it. Can you eat cabbage?

Sounds like a bunch of pickiness going on 'round here. Can't find something, but put the pooh pooh on all suggestions. :confused:

Fresh grape leaves......fresh oak leaves.......fresh maple leaves would be the same thing.......naw they have to be soaked in brine and processed:rolleyes:
EX_Zactly. I have access to grape leaves, fresh off the grape vine. They crack and have a very bitter taste unless they are brined.

In some ethnic grocery stores 'round here, they sell banana leaves in the freezer section. Pretty close to unprocessed except for the freezing BUT they do treat 'em a little bit to get the bitter sap out of the leaves and make 'em more pliable. Yes, we have fresh 'nanner leaves 'round here, too but they need to be treated to not taste bitter.

Back
Top Bottom