Grilling Ribs - Direct Heat - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Grilling
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
BBQ Centralite

Grilling Ribs - Direct Heat

Has anyone ever tried grilling ribs over direct heat? If so what type of ribs work best, spares or baby backs? How were your results and how did they compare to smoked ribs. I love ribs of all kinds but have always preferred a crispy outer texture and the carmelization you get from direct heat.

I will be getting a new grill this spring, it has a meat rack that you can crank up and down from 2 - 20 inches off the coals and thought that I'd give it a try. I read in one of Steve Raichlens books that the Rendevous in Memphis uses the direct grilling method for their ribs (dry).

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

Kloset

KCBS member & Certified BBQ Judge

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

http://www.impeach-barack-obama.com/

http://theglennbeck912project.com/
Kloset BBQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #2

You can use a grill with a pan under the ribs to deflect the heat till the end.

But you can also do them direct. It is easy to get overdone outsides and underdone insides this way, if that makes sense. Works much better with baby backs than spares.

Old 03-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
BBQ Centralite

Thanks for the input guys. I cooked some baby backs over the weekend on my Weber using the indirect method and a couple of packs of soaked hickory chips wrapped in aluminum foil placed directly on coals. I cooked for about 3 1/2 hours and finished the ribs directly over the coals
and got some nice carmelization of the sauce (Jack Daniels).

Ribs tasted great just a little more pull from the bone than I would of liked. Will try adding an extra 30 minutes next time. Temps held steady between 225 and 250 despite outside temps of about 30 degrees.

When my new grill arrives I will try cooking direct and experiment with the rack heights and report back.

Experimenting is so much fun especially when you get to eat the results!

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

Old 03-03-2005, 02:34 PM   #4

In the 3-2-1 method for those of use bullet smokers, we put spares on indirect heat for 3 hours, 2 hours in foil, and 1 hours back in the smoke.
Results in smokey tender ribs with the sauce set well on the last hour.

The times are less on bb's. You would probably find a good method that way on any grill if you work at it enough.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark

Hey Kloset,
You getting a Hasty Bake? That's what that discription sounds like. People swear by those things. Haven't ever used one myself though. Talked to a guy using one at the Hog Happenin in Shelby, but he was WAY drunk and I wasn't getting much useable info.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
BBQ Centralite

Chris,

I am getting a Klose (thus the similarity in my handle). I've got a Klose smoker too. Great pit and am hoping the grill is just as good.

I'll post some pictures when I get it (sometime in April). Got about a foot of snow on the ground now. Can't wait til spring.

Kloset

Sic semper tyrannis!

Old 03-03-2005, 04:11 PM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark

You got a link to that grill? I've looked at there website for grills and saw some, but got bored with searching and quit. Like to see it.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloset BBQR
Chris,

I am getting a Klose (thus the similarity in my handle). I've got a Klose smoker too. Great pit and am hoping the grill is just as good.

I'll post some pictures when I get it (sometime in April). Got about a foot of snow on the ground now. Can't wait til spring.

Kloset
well now, no need to wait to show us the Klose you have now..you gonna sell the old one? I've gat a hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket, so let me know!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #9
BBQ Centralite

Captain,

I'm keepin the smoker. The other ones just for grilling. My goal is to use the
grill and the smoker together. Be kind of nice to have something quick to eat while your waitng on those butts and briskets to give it up.

Kloset

Sic semper tyrannis!

Old 03-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #10

well I guess that makes sense............I guess.

There's something un-American about having 2 Kloses.