Grilled sausage.....and maybe some good luck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Grilled up some Polish sausage and put in the"crock pot" with some kraut.
Also made up some "Hoppin' John". Kind of a wierd combination but from what I've heard if eaten on New Years day you will have good luck throughout the year.
There was alot of different recipes for it so I wasn't sure which to choose.
I used blackeyed peas, tomatoes, green pepper, onion, a bit of celery,cooked bacon & rice. I put a little Tabasco sauce in my helping.
Maybe one of our Southern members can enlighten me if this was true Hoppin' John.

From me to all of you I wish a happy and lucky New Year :D

A few "snow people" my sweetie and I constructed. (She did most of the work :shock: ) We were out of carrots.

You was doing good till you got to the tomaters. It illegal to put tomaters in real hoppin john. Sorry. Other than that you was right on the money.

bigwheel

Bigwheel I'd say 90 percent of the recipes I found called for the illegal 'maters :shock:

Nick......just the middle section :oops:

Griff.......I wish the best of luck to you ;)

Ok I have one Southwestern opinion.
How about another?
One recipe I stumbled across called for Spam (Lite) (What in the hell could they do to Spam to make it Lite? :LOL: :shock: )

Well you apparently hanging out in the North of the Mason Dixon recipe section. I have heard rumors of folks who got lynched for putting tomaters in the Hoppin John. Spam is some kinda Hiwayan thing. Less you from Hiwaya I wouldnt pay it no mind. Now Tomaters is perfectly legal in Texas Caviar. Person just got to be careful on the nomenclature to avoid the neck tie party's. Also don't get caught stealing pigs in Arkansas. Even though they cant play footballs they take hawg stealing purty serious. Uncle by marriage from PA learnt that lesson the hard way. He the brother to the one who came down here to eat calf fries and the bull drug him to death.

bigwheel

Puff said:
Bigwheel I'd say 90 percent of the recipes I found called for the illegal 'maters :shock:

Nick......just the middle section :oops:

Griff.......I wish the best of luck to you ;)

Ok I have one Southwestern opinion.
How about another?
One recipe I stumbled across called for Spam (Lite) (What in the hell could they do to Spam to make it Lite? :LOL: :shock: )

Looked great Puff. I made Hoppin John for the guys at work yesterday using some leftover smoked turkey. They loved it. Its a tradition around here to have Pork, sourkrout and hoppin john on NYD. I also disagree with BW, all the recipies I have for Hoppin John have maters in it. Wouldnt eat it any other way. ;)

The food looks great Puff, maters & all in the HJ. Now it's been awhile since I've done a snow person but I thought they had carrots for a nose?

I never heard of tomatoes in hoppin john either. But If ya like it use it.

Did yall know black eye peas were brought to America from Africa in the 1700's when the slave trade begain?

007bond-jb said:

Did yall know black eye peas were brought to America from Africa in the 1700's when the slave trade begain?

Do we owe them money for that???? :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

Seems like I heard a similar story about the origins of Okry. Or could be hallucinating. Who knows?

bigwheel

007bond-jb said:

Rag said:
007bond-jb said:

Do we owe them money for that???? :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

Not yet! But after one of these damn politicians reads this we will! :shock:

Back
Top Bottom