Grilled Fish Tacos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
Had some frozen Red Snapper and a new tortilla press to try out so fish tacos were on the menu for last night.

Mixed a wet rub using some orange juice, lime juice, canola oil, smashed up garlic cloves, hot Mexican-style chili powder, salt and pepper. Painted the Snapper up with the wet rub prior to grilling and continued basting it while it cooked. The dang thing stuck like clue to the grill so I transfered it to one end of my girdle and kept cooking and basting it until it was done.

Transfered the Snapper to a plate to keep it warm while I cooked up some home made corn tortillas. Used some Masa Instant Corn Meal Flower to make dough for the tortillas and my new cheapo tortilla press to form them. I couldn't believe how easy and quick it was to put them together. They tasted real good, as well.

The fish taco cook had a few problems however. The stupid griddle is a cast aluminum product so it didn't do well over the hot coals. It's better for stove top use over the burners. It just got to hot for cooking the tortillas. Also the Red Snapper wasn't up to snuff. Had a bit of a fishy taste. I think it was flash frozen during the last ice age. I'll stick to Mahi Mahi from now on. Also, dumb Smokey Lew picked up the hot plate with the Snapper on it with his bare hands. Ouch! Won't do that again. :oops:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Even though things didn't go as planned those fish tacos still look great!! I have never tried making my own tortillas before, easy huh?

Vermin999 said:
Even though things didn't go as planned those fish tacos still look great!! I have never tried making my own tortillas before, easy huh?
It surprised me how easy it was. Just follow the directions on the back of the instant corn masa flour bag and get yourself a tortilla press. I got mine at Target for about $15.00.

Back
Top Bottom