Grilled Chicken Quarters and Quinoa dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopdaddy

Senior Cook
Tonights dinner featured chicken.

I put a salt free herb blend on the chicken with some EVOO. Once the grill was hot, I put them over direct heat for a minute or 2 to char them. I then moved them to a drumstick rack and cooked them indirectly for about an hour and a half. I smeared some of my whiskey bbq sauce on them a couple times before I pulled them off.

The chicken was served with some quinoa, which was made with chicken broth and some dried cranberries tossed in it.

We also had a mandarin orange salad with asian seseme dressing.

img_222622_0_de22d931a0728721d7e2fa6ecd4e81b5.jpg

img_222622_1_3398e2cf8b6fd43aaeaf4c121c0f9a2c.jpg

img_222622_2_aca59e7eb9e42323db6b71a7b056d102.jpg

img_222622_3_8ece2f4b355551ee29ddee45bbb49788.jpg

Excellent! I was thinking of getting some quinoa after a friend told me about it. I was under the impression it was a grain, as cous cous is like little pasta.

I have a cous cous recipe that you may like. I will have to dig it up. Super simple, makes a good side. I know Surfin Sapo has a recipe or two for cous cous that look great but I have not had time to make them yet. You can see them on his YouTube page.

Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":ig2h9rsc]Love me some chicken! I'm taking a liking to quinoa!
Zat Eyetalian?

Nope, South American. I tried Cous Cous (sp) a couple of times and can't stand that shit. But this stuff taste pretty darn good.[/quote:ig2h9rsc]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

Cous Cous is a much smaller "grain like" then Quinoa. Quinoa is about the size of 1/8th of an inch at most. It is very similar to rice in texture, and is cooked in water like rice. We like to cook ours in a chicken broth for added flavor and adding the dried fruits and nuts as well..

Quinoa is very high in protein but also gluton free, so it is healthy for you and is a great alternative for those who are allergic to gluton.

Shores said:
Fine looking meal! Rack looks cool, but what's it like to clean?

Honestly I haven't cleaned it yet. Ran out of time. I will have to put it on the grill next time while it is warming up and burn some of it off I guess.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Nice chow. Chuck the rack in the dishwasher and see if that will do the job. It does look like it would be a pain to scrub it up in the sink.

PIGS

Na, a little Pam first than the 2 stroke pressue washer will handle it!

I'll have to give Quinoa a try. I'm not a fan of African couscous, but I love Israeli couscous. In fact, I'm having BLT's and Israeli couscous tonight.

Quinoa is going to explode soon. Like most grains it takes on the flavor of it's cooking liquid, so is very versatile. It's one of the only grains that is a "complete" protein meaning it has all of the amino acids and is lower on the glycemic than oatmeal. It's truly a super grain and a staple in the S&A household. I actually eat it for breakfast in place of oatmeal because I hate the texture of oatmeal.

Quinoa is awesome!! Five years ago you couldn't find it anywhere and now it's in all the supermarkets. I like it cause it's a great change up for rice and if you read about it it's really good for you.

Back
Top Bottom