Grilled Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toby Keil

Executive Chef
Last night I fired up the Chaney and grilled some chicken breasts and a few thighs. I injected the breasts with fresh orange juice then tossed em on the grill. Cooked em skin side down so the skin got nice and crispy then flipped em over and basted em for the remainder of the cook. They came out really tender and juicy. Today I'm smokin a brisket on my WSM and some salmon on the offset.

Chicken on the grill
img_240644_0_3a32cc35239d4c90f72762675ce0ba83.jpg

Chicken is ready
img_240644_1_d1e4bd521ef0e44c88a3a647456eafd8.jpg

Your chicken looks good ! I've never injected chicken before grilling, sounds like a good idea; I can see lots of variations on injections. I'm getting into brining poultry; like before I fry chicken, keeps it very moist and tender, and I just brined cornish hens before smoking.... turned out great!
Looks like you have a busy weekend of grilling/smoking planned :D :D

Wow Toby looks mighty yummy. Fine job. Hey Fresian..next time you brine say for example you go in gallon increments..try replacing about a quart of the water with some good buttermilk. Borden Golden Churn Country Store brand works good. Dont use any of the cheap low cal stuff. It adds another layer of flavor and turns the chicken meat nice and white. The cheap low cal stuff can mess with the texture. Not sure why but the high quality stuff dont act thataway.

bigwheel said:
Wow Toby looks mighty yummy. Fine job. Hey Fresian..next time you brine say for example you go in gallon increments..try replacing about a quart of the water with some good buttermilk. Borden Golden Churn Country Store brand works good. Dont use any of the cheap low cal stuff. It adds another layer of flavor and turns the chicken meat nice and white. The cheap low cal stuff can mess with the texture. Not sure why but the high quality stuff dont act thataway.

That's a good thought. Actually, when I brine my chicken for frying, I marinate it in buttermilk after the brine.... probably would be easier to just do an h2o/buttermilk mix.
Good advice about low cal stuff, I don't generally use it; that would be like going out for ice cream and ordering a sugar free, non-fat, dairy free, scoop in a cup, no cone, no toppings....... :? boring and tasteless ;)

Sounds like you have a great lineup planned, and you're off to a great start.

friesian_rain said:
bigwheel said:

That's a good thought. Actually, when I brine my chicken for frying, I marinate it in buttermilk after the brine.... probably would be easier to just do an h2o/buttermilk mix.
Good advice about low cal stuff, I don't generally use it; that would be like going out for ice cream and ordering a sugar free, non-fat, dairy free, scoop in a cup, no cone, no toppings....... :? boring and tasteless ;)

man that looks good. interesting thought about the buttermilk...i love to hit tenders with lowery's and put them in a ziplock full of buttermilk, for a few days and then flour and fry....i will have to try that next time i brine

Wow, that does look good. I've never injected chicken before either (I usually brine though). Gonna have to give it a try. Very interesting...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom