Grilled Cevapcici - Serbian Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
My wife is Serbian and one of the favorite dishes you see served in Serbia is Cevapcici. In Serbia they are served in restaurants and local bars, grilled on home barbecues and served by street vendors. It's kind of like the American hot dog but with a lot of flavor and served on a bed of raw onions instead of a bun.

Pronounced: "CHEV-ahp-chee-chee", it's the Croatian-Serbian word for "casing-less sausages" and it's made with beef, pork, lamb, garlic and onion.

Here's the ingredients I used for mine:

1 lb. ground 85/15 beef
1/2 lb. ground pork
1/2 lb. ground lamb
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. baking soda (plumps up the sausages during grilling)

Mix meat and spices thoroughly and roll into small 1/2" to 3/4" x 2" sausages. After rolling, allow the Cevapcici to firm up in the fridge a couple of hours before grilling.

I also served the Cevapcici with Serbian potato salad which has an oil-and-vinegar dressing instead of mayonnaise or sour cream. It has a nice light taste with a slight tang that lends itself well to the meat combination of the Cevapcici.

We also had a simple iceberg lettuce salad with Bob's Blue Cheese dressing.

This is really great summertime grilling food!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Real nice Lew! We have a neighbor of Serbian decent that treated my family with that a few weeks ago. Unlike anything I've tasted off the grill!

Back
Top Bottom