Friday Amateur night part 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everybody here makes such spectacular things, and then this new guy (me)shows up and posts pictures of a $10 package of rib-eye.......hahahahaqhaha. Board members are probably all just speechless and brought to tears when they see those pathetic meat cuts. How can you respond to those pictures like the above???

Like this??....."nice try buddy, but those steaks look like sh!t". :LOL:

PS....I can't believe they shriveled up like they did!!! They looked more respectable before they were cooked, IMO.

Don't worry so much about the apperance, nobody is winning any contest here for the way it looks. Most important is if you and your family enjoyed it! You can work on apperance later. On plating, put the veggies and the starch on the plate, it hides a multitude of sins! ;)

Another way around the appearance of any food is sit a great, or not so great "PBR" beer or bottle of booze next to it and no one will pay attention to the food. :LOL:

bbquzz said:
Another way around the appearance of any food is sit a great, or not so great "PBR" beer or bottle of booze next to it and no one will pay attention to the food. :LOL:

Hahahaha....I've been known to do a little alcohol placement from time to time!!

My first TL is in the books and I am feeling VERY happy right now. My wife and daughter both LOVED IT!!! My daughter kept saying over and over as she ate....."wow, this is really good." :D

Anyway....this is the result.
img_233760_0_9bd31bad8c477f432a56e3ee2548df13.jpg

I grilled on medium heat until the center was at 140degrees. I don't remember how long it took...maybe 12-13 minutes or so...not sure. I kept basting with butter (it just seemed like the thing to do) and added more 'rib rub' onto the top as it cooked and I flipped it every few minutes. I normally don't get flip happy, but after watching several U-tube videos....it seems to be the thing to do with PTL.

Plated...
img_233760_1_24b2702536e37ad5953c268631c00bab.jpg

I am totally 'out of the closet' now with regard to food pics. As I was snapping the above pic while my daughter was eating across me, she was critiquing me. She suggested I add some green veggies to add color......bwahahahahahaha

Muy kudos on that one. Now my crew will not touch bloody pork or barnyard avians but it might be a regional thing. We is old school and worried about worms and stuff. Actually sheep liver flukes is the worst. E coli just give normal folks a few trips to the crapper for a few days. Now whut it takes to kill Lysteria I aint quite sure. Everybody who claims to know about it just talks in circles as far as can be determined. Purty sure it could survive at the internal temps we is dealing with on this issue. Want me to send you some guv'ment health brochures?

Just curious....does it look too rare or undone to anyone else?

I used a thermo and took the meat off to rest at 140deg.

Buckeye_Nut said:
My first TL is in the books and I am feeling VERY happy right now. My wife and daughter both LOVED IT!!! My daughter kept saying over and over as she ate....."wow, this is really good." :D

Don't you hate it when they act "amazed" that we can cook something good! :D

Buckeye_Nut said:
Just curious....does it look too rare or undone to anyone else?

I used a thermo and took the meat off to rest at 140deg.

Definately NO. nothing wrong with a little Pink in your pork. 140 kills anything.

Nut, you cooked that TL perfectly! Probably the best I've seen yet! Very nice job, but your beans need a kick. ;) :)

Gotta check out Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans.

I've done brisket and b.butts at about 300* and they came out good. Fast isn't always bad. The butt had no problem getting to pulled pork tender and a clean bone, but that has got to be the easiest thing to cook. The brisket came out tender, but just a bit drier than usual. Could have cured that by putting it in a foil pan and cover w/foil earlier, like at 150* or so.

Skirt steak is also very good on the grill. You also need to check out beef heart cooked to about 190-195*internal, very good.

Great pix, nut!

I want to thank everyone for all the fantastic grilling suggestions. Wow....this thread will make a nice reference for when I'm trying to decide something new to grill because there were some really good suggestions.

thx!!

Buckeye_Nut said:
Ok...I'm a noob amateur hack compared to most of you guys and I'm looking to grill something new on Friday. I've done a lot of grilling over the years: all basic items......basic steak cuts, fish fillets, pork chops, chicken breasts, burgers, dogs....etc, etc, etc.. I've never strayed from that world. I'll be using a Weber Spirit and I don't have a smoker or a huge ingredient collection for detailed recipes. Any spiced rubs, marinades, BBQ sauces....come off the store shelf depending on the "meat of the day" sitting in the basket. LOL

BBQ is OK...or not BBQ is OK too...I'm leaning a little towards BBQ for beef or pork. I went to my local grocery store tonight looking for something different and I drew a blank. I was actually thinking about doing a pork tenderloin,(I think that would be pretty simple) but the cuts at the store were wimpy so I didn't buy anything.

Tomorrow I'm going to Costco because they tend to have a better meat selection. Hmmmmmmm??? What would be a 'fun first' on the grill? Maybe a beef brisket? Can I do that justice on the grill? Corned beef? Something BBQ?? Pork butts/bellies/or loins? Heck...I don't know much of anything about various meat cuts, but I do know 1 thing!!......something new is gonna' sizzle on friday. What??....not sure yet!!?

Discuss....fun grill suggestions to test me??

anyone??
Costco has a bone in pork loin. They only sell them around holidays (the one I go to has them right now). Get ya a few of them they will keep for a year in a deep freeze. If you want to see what one looks like search- I posted pics in the past.
Put a herb and garlic paste on them and do a reverse smoke. Some good eatin :)

Back
Top Bottom