Flat Iron steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Grilled direct to sear indirect to finish.
Caramelized onions and 'shrooms. Cheesy potatoes and beans. :D

Never heard of that cut either but whatever you call it it sure looks yummy.

Odd just as I was typing I am watching iron chef and sure enough one of the gus is cubing up a flat iron steak.

Gott go google it.

From Wiki:
The Flat Iron Steak is a cut of steak from the shoulder of a steer. The design of the cut of steak was created by researchers at the University of Florida and University of Nebraska during the course of a study of undervalued cuts of beef. The study also found that this specific cut is the second most tender cut of beef, after the tenderloin. The major initial barrier to the flat iron steak was the large band of connective tissue running down the center of the steak, which led people to assume that the cut in general must be tough. Removing the connective tissue, however, leads to a steak that is often described as having both the tenderness of a rib eye or strip steak while still having the full-flavored character of a sirloin or skirt steak. Whole, this muscle is known as Infraspinatus, and one may see this displayed in some butcher shops and meat markets as a "top blade" roast. Steaks that are cross cut from this muscle are called top blade steaks or patio steaks. As a whole cut of meat it usually weighs around 2 to 3 lbs, is located adjacent to the heart of the shoulder clod, under the seven bone. The entire top blade usually yields 4 steaks, between 8 to 12oz. each.

Restaurants, particularly upscale, have recently begun serving flat iron steaks on their menus. Especially popular are flat irons from Wagyu beef, as a way for chefs to offer more affordable and profitable dishes featuring Wagyu or Kobe beef.

Thanks Diva. I guess we learn something everyday. I just assumed it was a skirt steak or something. Next question is how do you get one of these? talk to a butcher? I don't ever recall seeing one of these out among the regular meat. I wonder if you need a knowledgeable butcher to hack one up for you?

It's the muscle that occupies the hollow of the shoulder blade and attaches to (and rotates) the humerus, a key muscle in the rotator cuff. In us humans it looks like this:

infraspinatus.jpg

--John

Unity said:
It's the muscle that occupies the hollow of the shoulder blade and attaches to (and rotates) the humerus, a key muscle in the rotator cuff. In us humans it looks like this:

infraspinatus.jpg

--John

That just set off all kinds of alarms in my head! :shock: :shock: :shock: :LOL:

Rag said:
That just set off all kinds of alarms in my head! :shock: :shock: :shock: :LOL:
:LOL: Sorry about that. I wasn't trying to stimulate any Jeffrey Dahmer ideas, it's just that it's easier to find illustrations of isolated people muscles than beef ones.

--John

Looks very tasty Puff. I’ve never grilled a Flat Iron before but I’ll definitely add to my list things to grill. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone. This was the first time I tried this cut and the first thing I noticed when taking it out of the package was the connective tissue as mentioned in the Wiki definition. I was thinking there was no way this would be tender. I removed it, grilled it and it was very tender, it reminded me of a tri tip.
One thing I didn't like about it was that it was thick on one end and thinner on the other making it harder to grill to medium rare like I wanted.

Nick that was the venison sausage I smoked last week. I thought grilling it would maybe help it out a bit.

The first ones I tried were sliced egg shaped medallions. That had the gristle strip right down the middle (kind of sucked). But now I get the butcher to cut the steak the other direction along the gristle layer. When he's done I have 2 steaks an a long sheet of gristle. He can't sell the gristle that way. but you have better eating. I think they called the gristle medallions Butterfly steaks. Cute.

Back
Top Bottom