Flat Iron steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
called my butcher today and they are going to bring some of these in for me.

I am looking forward to trying them.

buy the whole Sholder Clod and trim it down yourself, and it's under $2:00 a pound .... When the butcherer cuts it down to Flat Iron Steaks, that is when it goes up to $4.99 a pound

You take it down to 3 pieces

You can get Top Blade, which you can trim down to Flat iron on the one side

The Shoulder Tender, on the other side of the top which you trim down to Petite Tenders

and the big ole fat piece thats left you can make Ranch steaks, or grind up for chili or kabob thingys

http://www.beefinnovationsgroup.com/CMD ... VC3-aa.pdf

very economical way of eating beef if you order the whole Sholder clod

you need to know that there is a lot of silver skin that really needs to be taken off, as it binds up when you are cooking it and will make the thing look like Quasimodo, and you cant really chew the stuff either

If you want to, you can just take off the Top Blade, then cube the rest for Chili, or grind it up for burger meat...

Bobberqer said:
buy the whole Sholder Clod and trim it down yourself, and it's under $2:00 a pound .... When the butcherer cuts it down to Flat Iron Steaks, that is when it goes up to $4.99 a pound

The Shoulder Tender, on the other side of the top which you trim down to Petite Tenders

and the big ole fat piece thats left you can make Ranch steaks, or grind up for chili of kabob thingys

you need to know that there is a lot of silver skin that really needs to be taken off, as it binds up when you are cooking it and will make the thing look like Quasimodo, and you cant really chew the stuff either

If you want to, you can just take of the Top Blade, then cube the rest for Chili, or grind it up for burger meat...

What kind of weight are we talking about. Barb has to be able to get it in the truck and from there to the kitchen?

Rag said:
Bobberqer said:

and the big ole fat piece thats left you can make Ranch steaks, or grind up for chili of kabob thingys

If you want to, you can just take of the Top Blade, then cube the rest for Chili, or grind it up for burger meat...

What kind of weight are we talking about. Barb has to be able to get it in the truck and from there to the kitchen?

:shock: lol since a whole one weights in anywhere from16-17-22-23 lbs, you might wanna get off yer old arse and help her at least carry it from the truck to the kitchen

Just make sure you're speaking the same language as them Amish butchers you got out there in PA..... I ordered a "whole shoulder clod" last year for a catering, and the butcher sent us ones that weighed between 60 and 70 pounds, came with the whole shoulder, down to the hoof :shock: shock: pretty funny now, but when we got the whole quarter, we were not happy campers.. took I think 36 hours to smoke the whole thing, even after we had to wack the hoofs off it to fit it in the smoker. Moral of the story, when talking to a wholesaler, make sure you're talking the same language..

That sounds doable for her. I remember you with that 1/4 cow....last year in AZ or someplace like that???

Rag said:
Unity said:
It's the muscle that occupies the hollow of the shoulder blade and attaches to (and rotates) the humerus, a key muscle in the rotator cuff. In us humans it looks like this:

infraspinatus.jpg

--John

That just set off all kinds of alarms in my head! :shock: :shock: :shock: :LOL:
Besides...doen't people taste like pork :shock:

After all this talk about flat iron steaks, I've been watching for them at the supermarket, and last Friday Safeway had some little-bitty ones at $2.49/lb. I got a package of 7 that went a total of 2.31 lbs, or an average of about 5 1/4 oz each. Tonight I grilled 3 of them on the gasser to med-rare (no pics) and Jody and I split them between us. I didn't try to remove the connective tissue before grilling because the steaks are so little that I'd have been grilling beef fingers. I might rethink that decision next time, because it wasn't as easy to trace the tough stuff after it's cooked. (I just ate mine.) The meat is very tender and tasty. I'll buy it again, but next time I'll wait for bigger ones.

--John

Unity, you ate the gristle? Wow dude...that's power eating. :LOL:
A better way is to buy the steak cut the other way.
Picture all those little steaks reassembled. That means the gristle layer is now; horizontal the length of a larger steak. The butch now slices off the top layer and bottom layer of meat. That gives you 2 sweet steaks. Thin, but tender and flavorful. Use care when cooking so as not to over do it.
Oh, throw away the gristle....you don't want anyone to see you eating that. :LOL:

Rag said:
Unity, you ate the gristle? Wow dude...that's power eating. :LOL:
A better way is to buy the steak cut the other way.
Picture all those little steaks reassembled. That means the gristle layer is now; horizontal the length of a larger steak. The butch now slices off the top layer and bottom layer of meat. That gives you 2 sweet steaks. Thin, but tender and flavorful. Use care when cooking so as not to over do it.
Oh, throw away the gristle....you don't want anyone to see you eating that. :LOL:
It was no big deal, cut in small bits, and I didn't lose any of the good meat -- but I'd welcome gristle-free flat irons. ;)

I'll ask the meat guy if he ever cuts them that way next time I shop.

--John

Oh, you wanted a pic of the meat! Sorry, I didn't take any. But the used grill is evidence of the cook. ;)

--John
(I know, Griff isn't going to buy it either.)

Unity said:
Oh, you wanted a pic of the meat! Sorry, I didn't take any. But the used grill is evidence of the cook. ;)

--John
(I know, Griff isn't going to buy it either.)
I was talking about the little pieces I see stuck to the grill. :D

Nope..Griff won't buy it. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom