flanken ribs, beef ribs, chuckeye, shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
not all at once....first, pics of a grilled beef rib and a chuck eye steak from last week...I can only get shiners down here for beef ribs, so
I thought, why not grill it like a steak....it was a little rare on the inside,
not bad, but no revelation here...I think it can be done to make it worthwhile, but I ain't there yet (Cappy bows to JB). So the rib goes
with the chuck eye which rocked....my favorite meal...beef and beef.

so I bought some flanken ribs today and am thinking about how to cook em...gonna pull like crazy for the Davidson Wildcats this afternoon, and
want some fun eats...gonna do a big batch of flank ribs in 2 or 3 different ways, plus some scrimps....I've got about 25 bottles of sauce in the house, about 15 different rubs...narrowed it down to these to choose from

then thought about a marinade for some of the ribs....so...added red wine and evoo

just sipping a beer, deciding on the flavors right now....Simba the Wonder
Dog wonders which it will be...

decisions have been made....4 in the red wine and italian dressing mariande, these rubbed with the charbroil garlic stuff and Lotta Bull.
used a little mustard to get the rub to stick more

notice how these are labeled

Larry Wolfe said:
Jim those are NOT ribs, they are cuts off a chuck shoulder roast.

Flanken-style Short Ribs

Refers to a slab of beef short ribs, small pieces cut from the main portion of the ribs. Taken from the chuck primal, the Flanken-style Short Ribs consist of the first five ribs of the ribcage. When the chuck short ribs are obtained by cutting across the bones, they are referred to as Flanken-style Short Ribs. However, chuck short ribs cut parallel to the bones are known as English style short ribs.

Source

JB, I grill the hell out of them for about 6 minutes and have never had a tough one yet. I make sure mine are less than 1/2 inch thick, more likely just over a 1/4 inch. They are so well marbled that they're like eating prime rib. There is some gristle around each bone, but that's only there to slow me down, otherwise I'd power through a platter of them in minutes. :LOL:

I cooked some flanken ribs last night. I got one pack with the rib bones in and one without bones. The first pic is the ribs with WRB and the second is the finished meat that I brought in the house.

The flankens I get are cut much thinner than the Cap'n's and probably are more tender as a result.

Christopher said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Jim those are NOT ribs, they are cuts off a chuck shoulder roast.

Flanken-style Short Ribs

Refers to a slab of beef short ribs, small pieces cut from the main portion of the ribs. Taken from the chuck primal, the Flanken-style Short Ribs consist of the first five ribs of the ribcage. When the chuck short ribs are obtained by cutting across the bones, they are referred to as Flanken-style Short Ribs. However, chuck short ribs cut parallel to the bones are known as English style short ribs.

Jim and I discussed it after I posted that and after I looked at the pic's again I realized I was wrong. But I failed to post that.

the meat was great but there wasn't a lot of it,
and the gristle is tough....it's fun to eat though,
kinda like steak on a rib bone.

Griff those look great! I was at work when I read this post originally and couldn't see your pic's!!!

Back
Top Bottom