Fish Grilling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hog-butt-jr

Assistant Cook
OK....so I'm a oven guy when it come to fish and usually wrap my fish in tinfoil when I throw it on the grill because it flakes up and drops into the black hole. Who uses the "sandwich" grate that folds down on your fillets? Do they work? I tried spraying the rack with pam, crisco and WD-40 (not really) and my fish still sticks to the grate. Give an O'l steak and potatoes guy a few pointers for grilling some good fish without sacraficing it to the bottom regions of my grill! :oops: I fish the Panhandle of Florida so I mainly catch Trout, Red Fish and Flounder.

Now give me a 3 lb pork butt, chicken breast or ribs and I'll not ask a question....lol

Boss Hog

Jr, Use a hot grill, right before you put the fish on, Dip a paper towel in vegetable oil or olive oil or any oil of your preference, while holding the dipped wad with tongs, wipe your grate. Lay the fish perpendicular to the bars on your grate. I use this method with white fish fillets such as red snapper, talapia and mahi mahi. When I do Salmon, I usually leave the skin on and cook it with the skin side down, when the fish is done, I slide a spatula in between the skin and meat and remove. You can also try cooking on cedar planks. I like using them with salmon.

Well Hog Butt Jr., fish are tricky things when it comes to grilling them. I use cast iron grates and make sure they've been lubricated real good with vegetable oil, not olive oil. Olive Oil is for Popeye not grill grates.

I tend to only grill fish that have a firm meat like mahi mahi, halibut or salmon. It also helps to leave the skin on. I'll grill the meat exposed side first for a few minutes then flip it over on to the skin side to finish off.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your fishy endeavors. :LOL:

californiagrillin said:
Jr, Use a hot grill, right before you put the fish on, Dip a paper towel in vegetable oil or olive oil or any oil of your preference, while holding the dipped wad with tongs, wipe your grate. Lay the fish perpendicular to the bars on your grate. I use this method with white fish fillets such as red snapper, talapia and mahi mahi. When I do Salmon, I usually leave the skin on and cook it with the skin side down, when the fish is done, I slide a spatula in between the skin and meat and remove. You can also try cooking on cedar planks. I like using them with salmon.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I have always wanted to try the cedar plank on the grill with a nice fillet so I'm going to try that for sure. Also, leaving the skin on and at the end of cooking, slide between the skin and meat trick! I have tried the cedar plank in the oven but never thought about it on the grill. Sounds pretty tasty! I'll give you a report after Memorial day... 8)

bbquzz said:
I don't have the experience of these other folks, but find Frogmats, http://www.frogmats.com/ to be a big help when grilling delicate items.

Saint...I took a quick look at those Frog mats and it says not to use over direct flame but I bet it would work if you fired up the right side of the grill ( and some oak wood chips) and place the fish on the left side. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom