First time cooking spares. Any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I removed the membrane and rubbed with Wolfe Orig.
I'm cooking on the gas grill.
Any tips on temps/ times?

cook indirect at 250 for about 3 hours. Then wrap in foil
and pour in a little apple juice...cook indirect for 2 hours.
Unwrap and cook indirect for 1 hour, saucing after about
30 to 40 minutes.

Thanks! I thought the 3-2-1 was just for a smoker.
I will post the results.

One more dumb question- 250 at the grate or the dome? :oops:

Came out ok...falling apart too much for my liking. Maybe cook for a little less time next.
Thanks for the tips.

erik13 said:
Came out ok...falling apart too much for my liking. Maybe cook for a little less time next.
Thanks for the tips.

Less time in the foil will solve that problem. I don't leave mine in for more than 45 minutes now. Sometimes 30 minutes.

erik13 said:
Thanks for the tips.

I've found that the standard times listed for this method are a little too long. I've shortened the intial smoke time and the foil time for BB's.

FWIW, the 3 2 1 times are for 225, not 250. The extra 25 degrees makes a big difference. I agree that "2" is generally too much time in the foil. In fact, I feel foil is useful for beginners but is unnecessary once you understand the dynamics of cooking tender ribs. However, if you don't foil, it's a good idea to brine.

You can certainly cook ribs over direct heat on a charcoal or gas grill. Allow about an 90 minutes for spares, most gas grills, at the lowest flame setting. About 300 - 325 deg as measured by a button. With direct heat, it's unnecessary to remove the membrane during prep because it will burn off. You can help this along by scoring the membrane. Start bone side down. Cook with the hood down, turning every thirty minutes or so. Sprtiz with a non-flammable mop on the turn. Keep sugar amounts down in rubs and mop, because sugar WILL burn. Use the "bend test" to determine if ribs are done. When they are, glaze the ribs with your dipping sauce and allow a further 5 minutes per side, for the last 10 minutes of the cook. For the glaze, start meat side down, and finish bone side down.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom