Finally Tried an Onion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
It was just the Girlfriend and I last night, so we had a nice quiet evening on the deck cooking.

Started off with Vermins Onion. Kept ours plain and simple this time, no topping. 2 sweet onions, olive oil and Tony Cacheres's Creole Seasoning. Also had a few hassleback potatoes drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic.
img_250080_0_c969bc430c33780483b3ef813d706b31.jpg

img_250080_1_d4f63988bfcb7fbc5715fb0e711e291b.jpg

img_250080_2_b6bbea72314ecb30f4c830b47caf5b21.jpg

Portabellas stuffed with lump crab meat, 1 egg, 2 tbs mayo, roasted red peppers, salt and pepper.
img_250080_3_e860504db7837259ddfcad2ff5eda1b4.jpg

img_250080_4_cc57ed59b87294ec5bd21bf00e128077.jpg

Onions are done. We could not eat these fast enough. Soooo much better without the greasy breading. If we had four we would have eaten them all. Shawn made a dip, not sure wht was in it, but it was perfectly tasty.
img_250080_5_71d87f9ad44026af752a378b8277ad9e.jpg

3lb sirloin to share, seasoned with salt and pepper.
img_250080_6_f67f7c761e5892f2a97adc8e867fa8f7.jpg

img_250080_7_2e08a5304e60d7ea294d0c9e7aba2b3f.jpg

img_250080_8_0e785fc5e3a45682b3a27b2c4be25eda.jpg

img_250080_9_37fc32baa0735b77d80a8923fba73665.jpg

img_250080_10_0a0c529873979d428408e29937c235d9.jpg

Dinner is ready. Shawn made an herb butter to top the potatoes with that was outrageously good!
img_250080_11_deb16b58fe400a50c2a43d9ee7dfc61d.jpg

img_250080_12_12844c2c99c98f4afef310af2b3040a7.jpg

Still trying to get the hang of all this... looks like those onions (beautiful) stayed in the farthest corner from your heat the whole time?

Also, was it all open the whole time, or smoking it, or...? Heck if I know what a smoked onion would be like, but it sounds like an adventure! I'll ask (and look), but is there some secret to cutting the onion that way, or is it just "cut, peel back, cut, peel back, cut, peel back..."?

Looks great, as always.

whmaine said:
Still trying to get the hang of all this... looks like those onions (beautiful) stayed in the farthest corner from your heat the whole time?

Correct, this is indirect grilling. 'Roasting' on a grill if you will. Why? The onions are far too dense to fully cook without burning over direct heat and the sugars in the onion will burn to a crisp.

Also, was it all open the whole time, or smoking it, or...?

The only time the lid was not closed was when I cooked the romaine, as it takes only seconds to get the char I want. Again, it's roasting when the lid is closed. Smoking would include lower cooking temps and smoke wood. Heck if I know what a smoked onion would be like, but it sounds like an adventure! I'll ask (and look), but is there some secret to cutting the onion that way, or is it just "cut, peel back, cut, peel back, cut, peel back..."?

I cut the bottom off one onion and the top off the other, totally by accident on why one was the top and one was the bottom. Then I cut almost through the middle of the onion, then cut again making a 't'. Then I continued to cut 75% through every quarter of the cut. Then when cooking they onions opened on their own. The one I cut from the bottom opened much better.

Looks great, as always.

All looks good Larry, I'm going to have to try that cutting from the bottom as most times I have done them they do not open like the one of yours and those V has done.

I am totally going to do the onion and potatoes.

Did you roll the tater around some or leave leave it alone ?

Did the onion and tater cook indirect ?

Cliff H. said:
I am totally going to do the onion and potatoes.

Did you roll the tater around some or leave leave it alone ?

Let the potatoes alone. They took about 45 minutes. I don't know the cooking temps.

Did the onion and tater cook indirect ?

Yes, the whole time.

OK, the first time through, all I saw was the onions and the 'taters. Couldn't look at anything else.
Then, I saw the rest. It all looks great.

Thanks for the pictures and the inspirations

BOB

Fantastic looking feast!!

When I do onions I slice them as thin as i can and kind of force them to open. I watched one of JB's Videos recently and he was talking about blooming onions and he said to dunk the onions in ice cold water for 30 minutes or so and the onion will open up on its own. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it does or not.

Vermin999 said:
Fantastic looking feast!!

When I do onions I slice them as thin as i can and kind of force them to open. I watched one of JB's Videos recently and he was talking about blooming onions and he said to dunk the onions in ice cold water for 30 minutes or so and the onion will open up on its own. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it does or not.

John, what a coincidence. I watched the same video yesterday. I've always read 'to soak in cold water'.....however. When 'we're' grilling we're not 'flash cooking' like most recipes for blooming onions call for, even know the 'Drunken Cajun' baked his. Since those of us that are grilling these onions will benefit by NOT chilling due to the longer/slower cooking process. What are your thoughts? I'll tell you what, next time we're making 4+ onions. You came up with a great idea of grilling these, even though Cappy will say he invented them......

Captain Morgan said:
I invented onions....it was other warped minds that did this to them. So you gonna
top them with anything next time?

Honestly Jim, I don't plan on it. They were so good plain.

I do want to try the cold water just to see how they will tun out and I didn't come up with grilling the onions I got it from the BBQ Pit Boys

Still got to try these great sounding and looking onions, That stuffed mushroom, potatoe and steak plate almost floored me F'in awsome

Vermin999 said:
I do want to try the cold water just to see how they will tun out and I didn't come up with grilling the onions I got it from the BBQ Pit Boys

Oh those guys steal everything from Cappy! They've hated him for years.

That all looked great Larry! I did the onion deal the other night and put cheese on at the end. Mighty fine invention Cappy came up with!

Back
Top Bottom