Dry Aging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Well I got this German beer drinking chum who keeps on touting the virtues of dry aging individual cut steaks/chops of the beef genre. His method is to place a steak uncovered in the ice box laying on a plate. Each day rinse and dry the plate and flip the steak over for about a week. I tried this on a round steak destined to be chicken fried one time..but chickened about after a few days. Seemed to have made it mo flavorful. At any rate I am testing the hypothesis on a Choice grade top sirloin from Sams. I have had it sitting in collander for 5 days now. Was gonna cook it tonight but may put it off till tomorrow cuz I am fat and lazy.

bigwheel

There was an article in a recent cook's illustrated about dry aging steak at home in the fridge. Sounds like your doing what they did exactly, they found the steak was much better, but also didn't recommend going over a week. Can't wait to hear how it turned out.

Well thanks for that tip on not over a week cuz I had done forget eggxactly how long that kraut said to let it ride. Aint much effort to it. They take them big sirloin steaks at Sams and cut it into fourths and package in Saran. I just stood them up on edge in the wardens big collander with a bowl under it. They did not cough up much blood or liquid. They have definitely turned darker with little patches of red splotches in certain areas.

bigwheel

Ok I will repoat back on the results tomorrow if the Lord's willing and it don't rain or come some other form of natural disaster. Tomorrow will just be day 6 of the semi controlled rotting expuriment.

bigwheel

Be sure to post the outcome bigwheel (If you live thru it..might have to give it a try) :LOL:

8)

Well whew. Just got done cooking em. The made in commie china gasser had trouble keeping up the heat cuz of cold North wind from the vast expanses of the frozen North aka...Alaska. Anyway got em up to 150 or in that general vicinity and they resting in the oven along with the gassed up tates. We like hot pink middles. Beautiful color on the outside. Not charred black as Larry likes but golden brown like KFC chicken. Now I didnt use any seasoning on em at all. I figgered this expuriment be best tried on its own merits. See I know how this scientifical stuff works. I aint quite ready to eat yet cuz it might kill my buzz. Don't taz me bro:)

bigwheel

There should be some kind of setup to get this done, instead of on a plate. Some kind of perforated plastic doo-hickey that can stack steaks...interesting approach.

Well it came out purty dang good considering the raw material. Think it would have been mo betta with a higher quality steak such as a CAB grade sirloin or a ribeye T bone etc. I could tell by looking at the raw steak there was several different muscle groups included. Part of it looked like stew meat and some parts looked like tenderloin. It was all edible with some sections being mo tender than the others. The Warden say it was delicious but then she likes anything which she don't have to cook herself. Did note is stayed a lot redder on the inside for some reason. Even though I got it up to 150 it still looked bloody and raw when it came off the fire. Not sure whuts up with that. Overall assesment think the aging be a good plan on a higher quality steak. Will save the sirloin for Swiss Steak etc.

bigwheel

Well give it a whirl and repoat back. Will say the only reason I bought that steak to start with was because it was on sale because it reached its expiry date on the day I bought it. Figger Choice grade prob aged at least 2 or 3 weeks before it gets to Sam's. Then six days nekked in the ice box. That steak was getting purty long in the tooth. It had little spots of mold on it I think. May eat some mo of it for supper...woops no..the Warden is cooking Eyetalian Food. I can smell her burning the garlic bread.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom