Doing the unthinkable (for me at least)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seanh

Assistant Cook
Hi all. I've never posted here before, but I've lurked in the past a bit. I'd love it if you'd be willing to share some of your wisdom with me :)

For many years, I've used classic Weber kettle grills with charcoal, and I've always been very happy with them. I've never really considered using a gas grill. However, I'm moving to a different state and will be, at least for a little while, living in an apartment that only allows gas grills (thankfully they at least allow that, and we have a good sized rooftop deck for it). I don't know anything about gas grills. I don't know what models are well-regarded, what features to look for (or avoid), etc.

Any advice on what to look for? Specific models you'd recommend? I'm probably looking for something similar in size to the Weber Kettle -- in other words, not one of those little tabletop grills, but also not a massive beast designed to cook for an army... Beyond that, I'm lost!

seanh said:
Hi all. I've never posted here before, but I've lurked in the past a bit. I'd love it if you'd be willing to share some of your wisdom with me :)

For many years, I've used classic Weber kettle grills with charcoal, and I've always been very happy with them. I've never really considered using a gas grill. However, I'm moving to a different state and will be, at least for a little while, living in an apartment that only allows gas grills (thankfully they at least allow that, and we have a good sized rooftop deck for it). I don't know anything about gas grills. I don't know what models are well-regarded, what features to look for (or avoid), etc.

Any advice on what to look for? Specific models you'd recommend? I'm probably looking for something similar in size to the Weber Kettle -- in other words, not one of those little tabletop grills, but also not a massive beast designed to cook for an army... Beyond that, I'm lost!

Weber...for performance/quality over frills, can't be beat.

Spirit E-310 can be found for around $499
Genesis series goes up above $600

I bought a Weber this year and don't believe I'll use any other brand of gas grill in the future...love it. Never loved a grill before...

Thanks all, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

I'm disappointed to be without my Weber Kettle, but we're moving from the Seattle area to Southern California, so the upside is that there will be a lot more days where I can grill without worry of rain putting the fire out, and many more days warm enough to actually eat outside ;)

seanh said:
but we're moving from the Seattle area to Southern California/quote]
If that's the case, you don't need a grill. Just go over to Smokey Lew's house. He cooks up some serious stuff often.

seanh said:
Thanks all, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

I'm disappointed to be without my Weber Kettle, but we're moving from the Seattle area to Southern California, so the upside is that there will be a lot more days where I can grill without worry of rain putting the fire out, and many more days warm enough to actually eat outside ;)

Lived there for a year...Seattle is the most beautiful city in the world for several months a year...but unfortunately there were a few to many months when it was a mite bit cold/dark/wet for me. :)

Welcome to the SoCal 365 days a year outdoor lifestyle. :) You're gonna need to get a bigger recipe book to cover all the BBQ opportunities.

I recommend either a Weber Spirit, Genesis depending on your Price range. Also look into the MHP Patio or Portable Gas Grills. They offer a solid Lifetime warranty on the housing and burner system which is the heart of gas grills. They can range from $799-$899 depending on whether you purchase a JNR or WNK model. They offer fold down shelves and really are a great value. Also American Made.

8496.jpg

If you have any other questions or anything about the MHP shoot me a message because they really are reliable grills at perfect for just starting on Natural Gas Grilling

Happy grilling-

I can second the Weber Q 300...also check the 200 series for something a little smaller and more portable. I have some great reviews of portable grills online (check the link in my signature). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom