Craigslist Score

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Griff said:
On my '85 kettle the code is stamped on the vent on the lid. It should be one or two letters.
We've talked about this before, haven't we? :) My kettle says "EI". In the same location on the Performer is a perfect circle (well, seemingly perfect). Could that be the code? According to the code list, an O would be 1992, which is double the age the seller told me. That bastard! :LOL:

--John 8)
(Gypped again. :evil: :LOL: )

Unity said:
Griff said:
On my '85 kettle the code is stamped on the vent on the lid. It should be one or two letters.
We've talked about this before, haven't we? :) My kettle says "EI". In the same location on the Performer is a perfect circle (well, seemingly perfect). Could that be the code? According to the code list, an O would be 1992, which is double the age the seller told me. That bastard! :LOL:

--John 8)
(Gypped again. :evil: :LOL: )

yeah, what you paid for that you got a steal, doesn't matter if it was manufactured in 1900......the older the stuff the more heavy duty it is, my old man (bless his soul) told me they don't make things like they use to :D

I asked Jody what she wanted to eat for Mother's Day and she said "chicken."

1. I was under the impression that these Oven Stuffers are enhanced, but not according to the package. Seven-point-four lbs will leave some leftovers. 2. Some Hot Rev's and WRO. 3. Then onto the rotisserie. 4. The rotisserie in full working mode. 5. Adding some lighted coals one at a time after about 3 hrs. Those char-baskets are nice but don't hold a lot of coals. 6. Ready to come off, even though the pop-up ain't popped. Leg and thigh were 180° according to my instant-read. 7. Moved the side veggies from the kettle's waning coals to the Performer to finish. 8. Just enough carved to make one meal. (Sorry I didn't compose this better, but we were in a hurry to eat!)

Let's see, onto the rotisserie at 3:40 pm, off at 7:20, makes 3 hrs 40 min, right? (It's hard to do in my head until I use my fingers.) The package estimate was more like 2 1/2 hrs in a 350° oven. I don't think the temp ever made much more than 300°, more often closer to 250°. All vents were full-open the whole cook.

I learned that the thermometer that fits through the handle into a hole in the lid doesn't tell me anything worthwhile. It was usually reading around 180-200°. So I dropped a Redi-Chek probe into the vent and got some usable temps. I think I'll monitor the rotisserie just like I do the WSM (except no meat probe, of course) -- a remote grate probe and a Weber dial thermometer ("WARNING HOT") through the vent.

It was a good getting-to-know-you cook. I just keep liking this Craigslist Performer. :D

--John 8)

Unity said:
I asked Jody what she wanted to eat for Mother's Day and she said "chicken."

1. I was under the impression that these Oven Stuffers are enhanced, but not according to the package. Seven-point-four lbs will leave some leftovers. 2. Some Hot Rev's and WRO. 3. Then onto the rotisserie. 4. The rotisserie in full working mode. 5. Adding some lighted coals one at a time after about 3 hrs. Those char-baskets are nice but don't hold a lot of coals. 6. Ready to come off, even though the pop-up ain't popped. Leg and thigh were 180° according to my instant-read. 7. Moved the side veggies from the kettle's waning coals to the Performer to finish. 8. Just enough carved to make one meal. (Sorry I didn't compose this better, but we were in a hurry to eat!)

Let's see, onto the rotisserie at 3:40 pm, off at 7:20, makes 3 hrs 40 min, right? (It's hard to do in my head until I use my fingers.) The package estimate was more like 2 1/2 hrs in a 350° oven. I don't think the temp ever made much more than 300°, more often closer to 250°. All vents were full-open the whole cook.

I learned that the thermometer that fits through the handle into a hole in the lid doesn't tell me anything worthwhile. It was usually reading around 180-200°. So I dropped a Redi-Chek probe into the vent and got some usable temps. I think I'll monitor the rotisserie just like I do the WSM (except no meat probe, of course) -- a remote grate probe and a Weber dial thermometer ("WARNING HOT") through the vent.

It was a good getting-to-know-you cook. I just keep liking this Craigslist Performer. :D

--John 8)

John that looks incredible!! You got one hell of a deal on that grill!!! Wow!!

Some of those oven stuffers are enhanced. Just look for the wording "self basting" or read the sodium content, if it's over about 250mg it's enhanced. But it looks like you got one of the good ones!!!

knine said:
Good luck getting him to come down. The little kettles are a great size for when you don't need a lot of grate surface. I used to manage to cook steaks or chicken or burgers for a fair number of people when that was all I had. :)

--John 8)
(Darn, maybe I'll try to fix the old one. I miss having it available.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom