Cowboy Burgers . . . kind of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
Last night was burger night so I decided to do a California rendition of a cowboy burger . . . added some home made guacamole! I don't think cowboys actually took the time to round up avocados while on the trail.

Put large CI fry pan on a hot grill with some canola oil and butter then added one large Texas onion sliced thin. Put some sliced zucchini and yellow squash that had been marinating in Kraft Zesty Italian on, as well.

After onions got nice and transparent, I added the burger patties into the same pan. They had some of Kosmo's Cow Cover dusted on them. Let them fry on each side a couple of minute before moving them to the upper rack to finish off.

Plated the burger with the grilled squash and some oven backed restaurant fries. Grated some Parmesan cheese on top of burger and squash.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Koopdaddy said:
Pardon my ignorance, but why grill the burgers on the cast iron and not directly on the grill?
The griddle and grill method allows you to continue cooking and developing caramelization while moving the food away from overly aggressive heat. It also allows you to infuse flavors (spices, onion, garlic, etc.) into the meat. Direct grilling works great but you're always fighting lost flavor as the fat renders out into the fire. Just trying to get a nice caramelization with as much flavor as possible. I usually just through the burgers on direct and keep moving them around but this is fun to try once in awhile.

Wow Lew that looks good. Glad you made perfect sense as to the inquiry on the skillet. I wonder about that kinda stuff too sometimes. Great way to clean the skillet some might suppose. Or seems likely anyway.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom