Chimney lighting trick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
I heard someone puts some kind of gel on paper towels to make their own starters...does any one know the exact recipe for this...I am going to use it for the radio show this week.

Probably the tube of gel that are used on camp stoves?

There's the spray PAM on the paper towels trick too.

Here's what I do. Take two full pages of newspaper, fold in half and rip them into 1" strips. Toss them and form into a LOOSE ball. I found the strips burn faster than the crumpled up newspaper. The crumpled, I would have to light a couple times in windy times...the strips, Once.

Burnt Food Dude said:
I use some old cooking oil drizzled on a paper towel. I learned this method from Alton Brown on the Good Eats show. I like paper towels because they seem to burn completely and don't leave any ash like newspaper.

Saw that too, but I haven't used a chimney started in a couple years. I use a Hose Torch, no fuss no muss and you can get your cooker going in half the time! And you don't have to deal with the paper ashes from the chimney flying all over the place![/url]

Torches scare me to be honest.

I like those little weber cubes Witt lent me some last year. They work great and are so easy.

Diva Q said:
Torches scare me to be honest.

I like those little weber cubes Witt lent me some last year. They work great and are so easy.

Honestly the hose torch is not scary at all, pretty much a big lighter. Nothing whatsoever to be skeered of!

hmmm I have visions of me at PMS time equipped with that much fire power. Um I think its safer for everyone if i never get one roflmao

Diva Q said:
hmmm I have visions of me at PMS time equipped with that much fire power. Um I think its safer for everyone if i never get one roflmao
For what you do to tents...you should stay away from the Flamthrowers :LOL:

Diva Q said:

Is it just me or did "roasted nuts" pop into anyone elses minds? :shock:

I use the Weber cubes. I also keep 4 cubes in my survival kit. When in the woods they will start a fire with wet wood in the rain.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Diva Q":89c6mx3h]Torches scare me to be honest.

Honestly the hose torch is not scary at all, pretty much a big lighter. Nothing whatsoever to be skeered of![/quote:89c6mx3h]

I used a hose torch for some time, but my friends at some of the competitions showed me

img_144615_0_53517b84c0503a8baced48ff6075a139.gif

this.

It is a weed burner available at
Harbor Freight

ITEM 91037-8VGA

It makes a lot of noise if you run it wide open, but it has a pilot valve to adjust the flame so I rarely hit the trigger to get a full blast. It also has a pizo igniter so there is no holding a match near the business end with your hand. I like the way the fire is far away from my hand when I am lighting the charcoal. There is also a simular model at Brookstone that uses a small bottle of propane. It can get my BGE with a full load of lump fully lit in about three minutes.

WOOSH!!!!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Diva Q":12zpuzwo]hmmm I have visions of me at PMS time equipped with that much fire power. Um I think its safer for everyone if i never get one roflmao

Is it just me or did "roasted nuts" pop into anyone elses minds? :shock:[/quote:12zpuzwo]

ROFLMAO

I don't think i have ever laughed at a post that much.

TOO Funny.

LOL (Vlad calling from the kitchen asking me what I am laughing at wait until i show him this)

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Diva Q":3vu6ndus]hmmm I have visions of me at PMS time equipped with that much fire power. Um I think its safer for everyone if i never get one roflmao

Is it just me or did "roasted nuts" pop into anyone elses minds? :shock:[/quote:3vu6ndus]

It's just you!

I use the flame thrower to light the MC. A little pile of charcoal with logs on top and whamo it's lit in minutes. The roar is cool too.

Diva Q said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":e39ar461][quote="Diva Q":e39ar461]hmmm I have visions of me at PMS time equipped with that much fire power. Um I think its safer for everyone if i never get one roflmao

Is it just me or did "roasted nuts" pop into anyone elses minds? :shock:[/quote:e39ar461]

ROFLMAO

I don't think i have ever laughed at a post that much.

TOO Funny.

LOL (Vlad calling from the kitchen asking me what I am laughing at wait until i show him this)[/quote:e39ar461]

Might very well explain the term "Burnt Ends"

Back
Top Bottom