Chicken Gyros with Tomato Ttzatziki

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don Cash

Senior Cook
We did last week's Weber Recipe of the Week tonight, chicken gyros. Added some mushroom couscous and some Greek olives and feta as sides.

Marinated chicken, onions and couscous fixins.

img_232388_0_2567ef75000e403a7e5a747b36a3fa2e.jpg

Chicken and onions on. Couscous finishing up.

img_232388_1_c24a5ce9a7de33a8e8a343ba50ce10bc.jpg

Off.

img_232388_2_56ba39323640728b0b9fca44c5179b49.jpg

Plated.

img_232388_3_cd894d2dafa857d9e3d35749d90f9fe2.jpg

Really, really good. The ttzatziki was very loose but tasted great. I followed the recipe to the letter this time but would probably drain the yogurt and salt & drain the cucumber & tomatoes next time to make a thicker sauce.

Thanks for looking.

Don, you never cease to amaze me with your cooks!! Fantastic and I LOVE THE PLATED PRESENTATION!!

Looks good. That meal is a staple around here. We usually supstitute dill dip for the sauce and will use thinly add cukes to the pita

Didn't know about recipe of the week, thanks for posting, nice to know it exists.

Was the chicken tender? I always have trouble grilling breast meat...the line between cooked/safe to eat and tough chicken seems pretty small... :)

Redflea said:
Didn't know about recipe of the week, thanks for posting, nice to know it exists.

Was the chicken tender? I always have trouble grilling breast meat...the line between cooked/safe to eat and tough chicken seems pretty small... :)
Switch to boneless thighs, more flavor, less tough!

Nick Prochilo said:
Redflea said:

Given your avatar, I was pretty surprised to see you recommending thighs. ;-)

Yeah, I almost always do thighs for those very reasons, but do like a nice, tender breast (ahem) and would like to figure out at some point how to grill one w/out turning it into chicken leather... :) I can cook them tender on the stove w/out problems, so it must just be that I haven't done it enough to get the timing down.

Redflea said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Redflea said:

Yeah, I almost always do thighs for those very reasons, but do like a nice, tender breast (ahem) and would like to figure out at some point how to grill one w/out turning it into chicken leather... :) I can cook them tender on the stove w/out problems, so it must just be that I haven't done it enough to get the timing down.

Boobies are one of things that you can't leave alone :shock: . You have to stay with them while they are on the grill and keep a constant eye on them! Do you get the thick or thin cut? Also I cook them with a lower heat and direct.

Nick Prochilo said:
Redflea said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1zt4wj9a]
Redflea said:

Boobies are one of things that you can't leave alone :shock: . You have to stay with them while they are on the grill and keep a constant eye on them! Do you get the thick or thin cut? Also I cook them with a lower heat and direct.[/quote:1zt4wj9a]

Last time was thin - I cut two breasts in half so they were about 1/2" thick...grilled at medium over direct heat...too long as it turned out. I have a new instant read thermometer that I'm going to use as a crutch to get closer to the right moment when to pull them off next time I try...hopefully I'll get my timing better.

But mostly I'm going to stick w/thighs. :) I'm a leg man anyways...

Redflea said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Redflea said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3uazaxcq]
Redflea said:

Boobies are one of things that you can't leave alone :shock: . You have to stay with them while they are on the grill and keep a constant eye on them! Do you get the thick or thin cut? Also I cook them with a lower heat and direct.

Last time was thin - I cut two breasts in half so they were about 1/2" thick...grilled at medium over direct heat...too long as it turned out. I have a new instant read thermometer that I'm going to use as a crutch to get closer to the right moment when to pull them off next time I try...hopefully I'll get my timing better.

But mostly I'm going to stick w/thighs. :) I'm a leg man anyways...[/quote:3uazaxcq]
Skip the thin cut, keep them thick. Temps are tough to do on meat that thin, just keep an eye on them.

Thanks, everyone!

I was going to do thighs for this cook but the store was out of boneless skinless. The pack of breast tenders was only $1 more than a pack of bone in, skin on thighs and I didn't have a lot of time to (or feel like) de-boning them. Tenders it was.

@Redflea. When I do breasts (whether bone in or not) I cook direct over high heat with the grill uncovered, turning the pieces often, until I get the color I want on them. Then move to the indirect side with the grill covered until they read 155ish internal. You call an instant read thermometer a "crutch"...I think it's one of the most useful grilling tools I have.

Like Nick said, I'd skip the cutting. In my experience whole breasts are easier to cook properly than small pieces. The thicker breasts will let you get good color (direct) and then allow more time to cook completely without burning (indirect).

Nick Prochilo said:
Skip the thin cut, keep them thick. Temps are tough to do on meat that thin, just keep an eye on them.

Thanks, I'll do that next time.

I did this recipe tonight w/thighs, and it came out great - family was effusive in their praise, and we're adding it to our "recipe rotation" for future uses.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom