BWD--bacon wrapped duck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronbeaux50

Head Chef
I woke up this morning feeling a little better. Still got a world record headache and hurt ribs from coughing for 2.5 days straight(day and night!)
But, NO FEVER! :D

Sooooooo, Let's do ducks. It's good to have a retired Louisiana Sportsman hankering to clean out his freezer to make room for a new massacre. These are vintage 2008 season and I don't have a clue what kind, but I suspect they were Teal since they were so small. Could be wood duck or mallards too I guess???

Anyway, I cut a pocket in each breast and stuffed them with cream cheese and a slice of jalapeno, then wrapped them in bacon and seasoned with some chicken rub with citrus.

img_201575_0_ef47e876e84a02c2787ff6232638e160.jpg

img_201575_1_0ec0aafd52aa9f44e6a9d6ffb5afec98.jpg

img_201575_2_2a36650af32a33ecb35a549ee8afe670.jpg

Went ahead and rescued a few brussel sprouts from the pot to save their life from the boiling water...

img_201575_3_7544ae2752565417805fde57367e06fa.jpg

Everything on the Primo holding steady at 300 with some 'Perfect Blend' smoking pellets for smoke.

img_201575_4_d08dad251259c2294178568e7d9215eb.jpg

Watched them close and flipped a few times. Around 20 minutes they were medium and the bacon was cooked.

img_201575_5_a87ae74a6ed6a5c751598514d98f77dd.jpg

Plated with somed drowned brussels and some roasted jalapenos

img_201575_6_62b603e00b9788ddf23016c3abfbc1a9.jpg

Mrs RB had to have color
img_201575_7_897c362ab1ce1e5ab053da9e73fca87b.jpg

Well, they look great! So how were they? Asking cause I've never had much success cooking wild duck.
Them sprouts look good too!
dj

They were very good. The secret is to not go past medium on doneness. Wild duck is good just past rare to just medium, anything past is dried up.

Duck is an " aquired taste" which I have not " aquired".

It taste like liver. If you like liver ( and a lot of people do ), then you will love duck.

Your pics look excellent Ron but I know that you know that no matter how you prepare duck, it ends up tasting like whatever you soak it in, whatever you wrap it around, what ever you wrap around it,.......and DUCK. :LOL:

On a side note, I love to duck hunt. I became very accurate with the shooting iron.

Mick Dundee was right, don't shoot it if you aren't going to eat it.

Cliff H. said:

It taste like liver. If you like liver ( and a lot of people do ), then you will love duck.

Your pics look excellent Ron but I know that you know that no matter how you prepare duck, it ends up tasting like whatever you soak it in, whatever you wrap it around, what ever you wrap around it,.......and DUCK. :LOL:

On a side note, I love to duck hunt. I became very accurate with the shooting iron.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think it tastes like liver at all. It tastes like Duck! Seared breasts, and Duck Confit with the rest is how I usually make it....and it ROCKS.
Send your duck to me if you don't like it. :LOL: ;)

ScottyDaQ said:
Cliff H. said:

I respectfully disagree. I don't think it tastes like liver at all. It tastes like Duck! Seared breasts, and Duck Confit with the rest is how I usually make it....and it ROCKS.
Send your duck to me if you don't like it. :LOL: ;)

How do you think Ron got his ? :LOL:

There's a big difference in wild and farmed duck. It goes without saying I like the wild better. and Scotty is right, it tastes like duck. Having said that I also like liver.

Back
Top Bottom