Buying a new grill, not sure what to go with.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Typeo

Assistant Cook
I grill quiet a bit, around 3+ times a week, normally for dinner to just throw some burgers, chicken, brats, etc. on the grill. Well, my old cheap gas grill I've had for a few years has pretty much rusted out of me and the last couple days I've been looking for a better quality grill that will last a decent amount of time. I was hoping I could get a little bit of help here and figure out what kind of grill would work best.

I have almost always used a gas grill since it doesn't take so much prep and cleanup time, due to cooking so often, and normally for only me and my wife. However, I have always enjoyed the taste of charcoal grills better so I'm not sure what would be better to go with.

I have looked into some charcoal grills and came across the Weber Performer as being a pretty awesome charcoal grill. its on the more expensive side, but it seems like with the gas ignition it could cut down on the prep time.

I looked at a lot of different gas grills online, as well as making a stop at our local Lowes, but I just don't know enough about grilling to really know what would be better and why. Are there any really exceptional gas grills out there that don't cost a lot of money?

Also, lastly, I saw a char-broil TRU Infrared grill and went home to see what the infrared grilling was all about. I have red good and bad things about infrared grilling and am not sure if that is the route I want to go or not. From what I've read it seems to be it gets very hot, very fast, cooks evenly, but can burn that need to cook a bit longer then normal (Chicken) and needs to be thoroughly cleaned after ever use.

Anyways, what I'm wondering is what type of grill would probably best suite my needs? 90% of the time I cook for 2 people, every now and then 4, with the occasional with 6+ people. I grill around 3+ times a week for supper and its hardly anything fancy, just burgers, chicken, hot dogs, brats, but mostly just a lot of chicken.

If you have any suggestions on what might work best for me, feel free to leave any comments. Thanks for any and all help!

Thanks,
Typeo

Thanks for the response. That is the one I'm looking into the most, but is it worth to cook with charcoal when you do it pretty often and normally for only 2 people? Seems like a lot of wasted time / charcoal. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Also, my apologies for the spelling / grammar errors above. Can't seem to edit them out. Might be on a timer basis.

Yes, it is very worth it to cook with charcoal.

Personally, I would wonder if it was worth it to cook with gas.

On the other part of your original question...

WEBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOB

Haha, seems like everybody likes Weber... Sorry for my ignorance on this part, but how much of a prep time and clean up am I looking at with a charcoal grill such as the performer? I read about the gas lighter on there, which might cut it down some, but I haven't used a charcoal grill in a very long time so not to sure on the specifics of it.

Thanks again for everybody help and input.

if you cook with lump instead of charcoal, you won't have as much to clean up.

Some things that cost more are worth it. You'll get better flavor cooking with
lump or charcoal.

I live alone and haven't had a gas grill in years.

once you get used to lighting charcoal you can start your cooks about the same time it takes you to start cooking with Propane. You light the charcoal, prep your meat and usually the charcoal is ready by then. Clean up is fast and easy too on a Performer. I just clean the grate, and shut the vents down after a cook. Next time I cook I use the ash sweeper to clean the bowl of ashes and add some more charcoal and light, brush the grates again when it gets hot and off you go again. I clean my ash catcher around every three cooks.

Vermin999 said:
once you get used to lighting charcoal you can start your cooks about the same time it takes you to start cooking with Propane. You light the charcoal, prep your meat and usually the charcoal is ready by then. Clean up is fast and easy too on a Performer. I just clean the grate, and shut the vents down after a cook. Next time I cook I use the ash sweeper to clean the bowl of ashes and add some more charcoal and light, brush the grates again when it gets hot and off you go again. I clean my ash catcher around every three cooks.
That's pretty much it. Light the fire, prep the meat, fire's ready for the meat. ;)

And there is a reason everybody likes Weber.

BOB

Big thanks to everybody for the tips and suggestions, I went ahead and ordered it, should be in next week to test it out for the first time and see how different charcoal grilling is from gas grilling.

@Vermin - Whats this charcoal sweeper your talking about? Does the grill come with one or is it something I buy separate? Also my old grill grates rusted out (Although I have used it for 2-3 years). Is there a good way to prevent that from happening on this grill? Some special thing to clean the grates with, or will just a normal cleaning after each use work fine?

Thanks again!

Typeo said:
Big thanks to everybody for the tips and suggestions, I went ahead and ordered it, should be in next week to test it out for the first time and see how different charcoal grilling is from gas grilling.

@Vermin - Whats this charcoal sweeper your talking about? Does the grill come with one or is it something I buy separate? Also my old grill grates rusted out (Although I have used it for 2-3 years). Is there a good way to prevent that from happening on this grill? Some special thing to clean the grates with, or will just a normal cleaning after each use work fine?

Thanks again!

The ash sweeper which is actually called a one touch system is on all Weber grills. As far as the grate goes, just use the hell out of your grill or get you a Stainless steel grate from Weber and cover up your grill.

Your ganna love the performer, best grill I ever owned, Just takes some practice.once you learn your grill and this goes for every grill gas or charcoal, thats why i never cook on a grill I am not familiar with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom