Bullet or One Touch ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Called every Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Target and Sears between Dallas-Ft. Worth and Waco. About 40 calls I made and NO GOLD! Settled for the 22 1/2" Silver One-Touch. $84 and change at Home Depot. Bought the side charcoal rails, utensil hanger and a cover. Couldn't find a starter bucket or a rotisserie. Now how in the hell do you use one of these things? I've cooked on an offset or indirect for the last 30 years. I've got a backyard comp cook this weekend. Chicken is the game. Start the coals in a seperate container and them dump along the sides? When or can I add wood? Chips or logs? Cook times the same? I really feel stupid, and this looks harder than my regular stick burner. HELP! [-o<

Mike,
As Smokehouse said, buy the book "How to Grill". It is great. I thought I knew how to grill before... now I do.

If you have the charcoal baskets, put them on either side of the grill with a foil pan in the center. I find that if I fill them up completely that it is too much heat and I have to fight to control it. Throw a small chuck of wood in each basket if you want. Put your chicken in th center over the pan and put on the lid with the vent centered between the coal baskets. As smokehouse said, 45 min to an hour and you should be done.

Smokehouse said:
Finney said:
...If you have the charcoal baskets, put them on either side of the grill with a foil pan in the center. I find that if I fill them up completely that it is too much heat and I have to fight to control it. Throw a small chuck of wood in each basket if you want. Put your chicken in th center over the pan and put on the lid with the vent centered between the coal baskets.....

Well, yeah, if you want to do it the RIGHT way. What's the fun it that? :rules:

Smokehouserules

That works if you want to smoke/roast.

To smoke in a kettle use only one rail on the left side, about a 1/4 of the way in from the side. Place your wood chunks or a 2" dia. split or stick lined up in row along the rail.
Dump in 1/2 Weber chimney of lit coals.
Stick a foil pan on the other side filled with 2" of HOT water.
Open your bottom as close to 1/3 open as you can and position the lid vent opposite the fire over the meat.

Stick a turkey fryer therm in a vent hole making sure it doesn't
touch the meat and adjust the bottom vent to maintain temps.

Did it this way for years 'til we got the small offset.

-YB

YardBurner said:
Smokehouse said:
Finney said:
...If you have the charcoal baskets, put them on either side of the grill with a foil pan in the center. I find that if I fill them up completely that it is too much heat and I have to fight to control it. Throw a small chuck of wood in each basket if you want. Put your chicken in th center over the pan and put on the lid with the vent centered between the coal baskets.....

Well, yeah, if you want to do it the RIGHT way. What's the fun it that? :rules:

Smokehouserules

That works if you want to smoke/roast.

To smoke in a kettle use only one rail on the left side, about a 1/4 of the way in from the side. Place your wood chunks or a 2" dia. split or stick lined up in row along the rail.
Dump in 1/2 Weber chimney of lit coals.
Stick a foil pan on the other side filled with 2" of HOT water.
Open your bottom as close to 1/3 open as you can and position the lid vent opposite the fire over the meat.

Stick a turkey fryer therm in a vent hold making sure it doesn't
touch the meat and adjust the bottom vent to maintain temps.

Did it this way for years 'til we got the small offset.

-YB
Excellent description~ And that's coming from just south of the Mason Dixon Line folks! Damn near a Yankee~ :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

OK, I did Jr and Sr high in Gaithersburg so I know where Damascus is.. 8-[

Hey Mike, Go with the one touch for straight grilling. By the way I saw part of yours and Carnivores pits on Saturday while picking up mine. 1/2 firebox material all picked out with your names on it. :( I wanted that piece O pipe for mine but I broke the bank on what a ordered. But next time! :!:

ZILLA

Well, here's the way it went this past weekend. I bought the Silver kettle. I bought the rails. I put the rails on either side and filled the sides up with charcoal. Once the coals were good and hot, I placed a ECB water pan between them full of water. I then added soaked maple chips to the hot coals. Then I placed the brined whole chicken over the pan of water. For the first 1/2 hour I kept the top vent closed and the bottom one 1/2 open, smoking the chicken heavily. Then I reversed the vents, closing the bottom one to just a crack and opening the top about 1/2 way. The chicken took on a beautiful golden color. But it took forever to finish. I mean I put it on about 10:00am and it took over 2 hours to finish. I don't know if it was the water pan or too much smoke. It had a great flavor and looked good although some of the skin shrunk. Suggestions?

Might have been the water that was at least partly at fault. Sounds like you just needed it to cook a little hotter. Like around 375*. Around that temp it take leg quarters (which is what I cook the most for me because they are CHEAP) about an hour for me.

Next time I will half the chicken first instead of after the cooking for turnin. Also will not smoke the meat the entire time, maybe just the first hour, then let the heat cook it.

I'm anxious to try a meat loaf, pizza and cobbler in it. It's not a BGE but I curious to find out just how good it will cook.

Yep, what Finney said. Water will try to keep the temp down around 212 but you can prolly get the cooking area up to around 250 or so. Also, I don't know if closing the top vent is a good idea ~ If you don't have the convection going ( bottom to top), you're going to choke the fire out...

Back
Top Bottom