Brisket, Tri-Tip Burgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
I ground up some brisket and tri-tip for meatballs a couple of days ago and had some of the ground meat left over in the fridge. Since the meatball meat mixture (half brisket & half tri-tip) had seasonings and bread crumbs in it, I didn't get a true flavor profile of the meat mixture.

The left over ground meat didn't have any of the meatball seasonings in it so this should be a good taste test. I only seasoned the burgers with salt and pepper before going on the grill.

I really liked the beefy flavor of these burgers. Grinding your on meat from whole mussel is the best way to go for burgers.

Burgers over direct coals about 2 to 3 minutes per side for searing.

Burgers moved to indirect side for finishing and cheese melting.

Plated with some broccoli and shoestring fries.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks awesome Lew, try grinding up some boneless chuck roast for burgers; they have great fat content and have good texture for once ground up (not to mention the great flavor too). If you can't find a boneless chuck; get a 7-bone roast and bone it out yourself; you'll love it.

I like grinding my own too, you get to see what is actually see what is going in your ground meat. I have been meaning to try making my own breakfast sausage too but never seem to get around to it, maybe this weekend.

Looks excellent. Tell ya how a person could do on small batches. Say 4 or 5 lbs ect. Its called a food processor. Cube it up add about a hand full at a time. Dump the bucket when it looks right and do it again ad infinitum. Lot less mess for the house mouse to clean up. Beats the heck out of washing a big Mama 1 hp grinder and its assorted appendages twice. Also works well for chili meat. Gives a non uniform mouf feel if you gets my drift. It aint got a dull and boring homogeneous repetitious type texture etc.

Great look'n burgers, Lew! How big was the die you used? I used a KA stand mixer attachment grinder and used the big die, but don't
think we liked the texture as well.

I used chuck roast and it could have used more of a beef flavor, imo. Tri-tip is kind of expensive and maybe top sirloin would be cheaper?

Great post and great info.

First post on the site. :D

Those are some damn fine lookin' burgers.

You should grind up a ribeye or two next time you do burgers. Very good fat content/distribution...and it will not disappoint you. Try slappin' some applewood smoked bacon, cheddar, and an over-easy fried egg on top for the perfect Sunday brunch burger. If you're feeling REAL adventurous (i.e. not looking to extend your life expectancy any) you can do some ribs the night before and slap some rib meat on it as well. I know it sounds gluttonous, but that's because it is. You only live once.

Hayden McCall said:
First post on the site. :D

Those are some damn fine lookin' burgers.

You should grind up a ribeye or two next time you do burgers. Very good fat content/distribution...and it will not disappoint you. Try slappin' some applewood smoked bacon, cheddar, and an over-easy fried egg on top for the perfect Sunday brunch burger. If you're feeling REAL adventurous (i.e. not looking to extend your life expectancy any) you can do some ribs the night before and slap some rib meat on it as well. I know it sounds gluttonous, but that's because it is. You only live once.
Well those are all excellent suggestions. I like the rib-eye, applewood smoked bacon and egg tip. Going to try it out. Welcome to the forum.

[/quote]
Well those are all excellent suggestions. I like the rib-eye, applewood smoked bacon and egg tip. Going to try it out. Welcome to the forum.[/quote]

:D Thank you for the welcome my man. Those burgers are awesome. You just have to space'm out a bit, as I'm sure they would quickly become the nation's leading killer if they became an institution. LOL

Back
Top Bottom