Brined Pork Chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
I ran across a "How To" article on brining pork chops and thought I would give it a try. I have brined chicken and turkey in the past and have been very pleased with the results. Never thought about brining pork chops until reading this article.

Anyway, I gave it a try yesterday and have decided that I won't do it again unless someone here has had a better outcome with it. Here's the recipe for the brine.

2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup brown cane sugar
1/2 tsp. black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 cups ice water

All the ingredients were heated until the salt and sugar were dissolved and the ice water was added to cool in down below 90 degrees.

The chops were added to the brine and set in the fridge for about 4 hours. They were patted dry after removing from the brine and then dusted with a little Hoochie Mama BBQ Rub and crusted with Knox's Cracked Pepper rub. Grilled on the high rack directly over the coals until 160 degree internal temp.

My problem with the chops was the texture of the meat became too soft for my liking. The recipe said to brine 3 to 8 hours and then pat dry the chops before placing on the grill.

Anyone have good results with brining pork chops?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have done it a few times. To me, it's not worth the effort. Kind of like a Canadian bacon chop. Your right about the texture. Wish Bone or 7-Seas Italian is okay every now and then. A half hour is all I do with that.

PIGS

I too have brined pork chops... not worth the effort. I do, however, brine whole pork loins.

If you want a good grilled pork chop, whether it be bone in or boneless loin chop, do the reverse sear method of grilling, take to 120 on the indirect, then sear til 140. good and juicy

Gary in VA said:
I too have brined pork chops... not worth the effort. I do, however, brine whole pork loins.

If you want a good grilled pork chop, whether it be bone in or boneless loin chop, do the reverse sear method of grilling, take to 120 on the indirect, then sear til 140. good and juicy
Hey Gary that sounds good. Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely try that.

Good looking brine recipe there Nick. Simple enough that I think I could handle it. :LOL:
Sometimes less is better. Gary is right, I never go over 140 on the grill.

PIGS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom