Bottom Round

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Anyone have any neat ideas for about 7 bottom round steaks. Most likely ill grill them but im not sure if thats the best way. They're not real thick. I also have a nice ribeye.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm....Rib-eye thanks for the help.

dollarbill said:
Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Grind them up and make a Griff loaf.

Pigs

griff loaf?
Oh YEA! Here ya go.

Here's the meatloaf recipe:

1/2 cup bread crumbs (I use Progresso Italian)
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onions, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 pounds ground beef
1 pound Jimmy Dean Hot sausage
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
5 or 6 dashes of Worchestershire
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Saute the diced onions in the oil until they turn golden (about 10 minutes). Soak the bread crumbs in the milk for a couple minutes. Mix everything together and form into loaf. I smoke the loaf on a piece of parchment paper cut as close to the size of the loaf as possible. With the WSM that allows all the grease to drain into the water pan and the smoke penetrates the bottom of the loaf making a smoke ring there as well. I smoke at 300-350* until the loaf hits 170-175*. Sometimes I put a red sauce (ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard to taste) on top for the last half hour or so.

The best part of meatloaf are the sandwiches made with the leftovers.

Griff

Damn Pigs! You got my mouth waterin and its not even 9am yet. Im gonna try to get my girl to buy into that as well. Im not sure if she like the loaf thing......I definately want to try it! Thanks again.

dollarbill said:
Damn Pigs! You got my mouth waterin and its not even 9am yet. Im gonna try to get my girl to buy into that as well. Im not sure if she like the loaf thing......I definately want to try it! Thanks again.
That's on my catering menu. Griff hit a home run on that recipe! Folks iust love it! :D

Pigs

I would pound them out with a meat hammer, bread them in seasoned flour, fry and make white gravy for some country fried steaks.

Well I got her to go for it! And if i can talk her in to frying a couple up Ill try both ways. I got a "fresh" keg in the kegerator and time to get some good company over. Now I can tell you Ill post pics tonight but that doesnt necessarily mean tonight since there is beer involved once again. :LOL:

she just advised me we have some New Yorks too! Yahoo! its gonna be a good day! ( we just cleaned out our deep freezer friday).

Think I got to side with Larry on this one. Tenderize and make CFS on all the round. Go buy some 80/20 chuck for the Griff Loaf. Round is mighty lean and so is Jimmy Dean sausage. Think the extra fat in the chuck would give a tastier loaf..plust chuck has a lot mo betta flavor than round (maybe because of the additional fat) and would take a wild guess it be cheaper lessen you caught the round steak on sale or something like that. Now them meat hammers is for the birds. Beat em to death with the sharp edge of an old Hickory Butcher knife to do the tenderizing. That make it where granny can eat it without her teeth.

bigwheel

I actually got the steaks from a buddy who got 1/4 cow or maybe half a one from work somehow (x-masss) or somthin'. He gave me all the steaks but kept all the hamburger for himself......greedy bastard! :shock: :shock: :LOL: :LOL: He is a friend for life!

Oh ya, and Im gonna go for the loaf anyways. Maybe ill trim the fat off of the sides of the New Yorks and add it to the loaf meat. Damn you guys are good!

Well you lucky dawg..them home killed beef make a person chunk rocks at the sto bought stuff. Now if you really idustrious and gonna break out the grinder..might as well grind up about a lb of bacon with them round steaks. Will kick it up to notches previously unknown flavorwise and provide enough fat to make it fittin.

bigwheel

I unwrapped all the steaks and everyone of them (round Steaks) was BAD. Im so pissed I shoulda known to check em' 1st. :evil:

PLAN B:

I used a little more than 1-1/2 lbs of the New York strips and ground them up. Also I added 4 pcs. Of bacon. Ill keep you posted!

1MoreFord said:
Sounds like you have enough round steaks to try a few things, so let me suggest this as well.
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ne+guisada

They were all bad. The NY's i got from the store the other day were in the bargain bin. 3 steaks totalling just over 1.5lbs. I think I paid roughly $7 or $8 bucks. Ill try to get the packaging and look again...now im curiouse?

Ahhh man...so sorry to hear the bad news on the steaks. Looking on the bright side at least it was bottom round. Coulda been a lot worse. It coulda been a Tenderloin off one of them Kobi beef raised under the AC/Heater in the shade of Mt. Fujiyama and given rub downs and allowed to drink beer and stuff. I think the end cuts is a hundred bucks a pound or so...or at least in that general vicinity maybe. Now that woulda been a crying shame.

bigwheel

It stunk and was a little like creamy brown/ frost bite on top (NASTY). I didnt take the time to look at the bottom. Im gettin ready to put that loaf on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom