Beef Tenderloin this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
YEAH, dont forget the invitations to us brothers in the south. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction to break in that OTG. Dont forget the pics.

kimmal said:
Just got a new Weber OTG and thought that I'd grill a nice beef tenderloin for my friends. I was thinking of searing it for a few minutes on each side an then cooking it indirect around 275/300.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Like Bill said, Pics........some good taters wrapped up in foil always do a nice job. I like to put baked taters in the micro 3 minutes at a time. Once they get soft I EVOO em, kosher salt em, foil em, throw em on the grill til the steaks are done!

Serve it with a nice slice of a compound butter, some fresh asparagus grilled and wrapped in prosciutto, a salad with blue cheese dressing, some toasted almonds and grilled tomatoes, plus a nice English trifle for dessert.

Diva Q said:
Serve it with a nice slice of a compound butter, some fresh asparagus grilled and wrapped in prosciutto, a salad with blue cheese dressing, some toasted almonds and grilled tomatoes, plus a nice English trifle for dessert.

Woot?? :shock: :LOL:

kimmal said:
Just got a new Weber OTG and thought that I'd grill a nice beef tenderloin for my friends. I was thinking of searing it for a few minutes on each side an then cooking it indirect around 275/300.

Just be real careful not to overcook. 130 to 135 (*f) internal is Max on
those, then a short rest. Much higher and the start to dry out.

kimmal said:

Cook it indirect until it's within 10-15* of your desired finishing temp, the sear until done. Like Ooompappy said carefull not to overcook!

Larry Wolfe said:
kimmal said:

Cook it indirect until it's within 10-15* of your desired finishing temp, the sear until done. Like Ooompappy said carefull not to overcook!

That's about what I would have said. ;)

kimmal said:
So, just so I don't screw this up...Indirect until about 120-125*, then sear direct until it reaches 135*.

A light dusting of WRB?

Yes! Make sure you check the accuracy of your thermometers before you cook. That's an expensive cut and you wanna make sure it comes out great.

I think WRB would be great the tenderloin! If you want more of a crust and more flavor rub it liberally with WRB! :D

I wish I was your neighbor, I'd bring the Wolfe Rub if you would share your tenderloin! :D

I like to sear mine 1st, it keeps in the juice that way, then finish it indirect.

007bond-jb said:
I like to sear mine 1st, it keeps in the juice that way, then finish it indirect.

"Look over here, Look at me boy!" :shock:

Actually searing does NOT seal the juices in...........it simply caramelizes the outside making it nice and tasty.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="007bond-jb":1x5rejmk]I like to sear mine 1st, it keeps in the juice that way, then finish it indirect.

Actually searing does NOT seal the juices in...........it simply caramelizes the outside making it nice and tasty.[/quote:1x5rejmk]
Thank you Mr,Wizard.
Your Pal,
Timmy
:LOL:

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":xgnwn1kb][quote="007bond-jb":xgnwn1kb]I like to sear mine 1st, it keeps in the juice that way, then finish it indirect.

Actually searing does NOT seal the juices in...........it simply caramelizes the outside making it nice and tasty.[/quote:xgnwn1kb]
Thank you Mr,Wizard.
Your Pal,
Timmy
:LOL:[/quote:xgnwn1kb]

[smilie=a_whyme.gif]

I knew this was coming...seems Mr. Finney did some experimenting
and now prefers to cook indirect and then sear...only he posted his
results ON ANOTHER BOARD AND NOT HERE.

Actually this method isn't really new. Cooking this way will also give you a more "uniform" rareness, versus the outsides being medium and the middle being rare.

Searing to seal in the juice is a misconception!

Jim the Round Steaks (aka-London Broils) we cooked at SOTB were cooked using this mehtod, did you think they were dry? They cooked for over about an hour and a half indirect then I seared at the end. Round cuts are notoriously dry due to their lack of marbled fat, but if done right they're excellent. I do my pit beef this same was as do some of the Pit Beef restaurants in the area.

Either method will work fine, use what works best for you and suits your taste. :D

Captain Morgan said:
hell no they weren't dry...they were the juiciest slices of
that type of beef I ever had...I thought you injected it.

Only thing I did to them was rubbed with Wolfe Rub Bold!

Stop reading my posts on other forums. If I wanted you to know I would post it here. LOL

Actually searing the meat first makes the meat lose more moisture because of damage to meat cell structure. If you cook two steaks to the same doneness, sear one and not the other... the seared on will have lost a greater percentage of moisture by weight. But the seared steak will taste better because of the caramelization. The "roast" then sear method give you the best of both.

I have been doing this "method" a while and it always comes out well. It works with roasts or steaks and chops.
Larry is correct, you get a more even amount of doneness this way whether you want it rare or well done (I hope nobody wants that).
The key is the lower "roasting" temps before the sear.

FYI: The current issue of "Cooks Illustrated" just proved out a similar method using an oven (for the low temp portion) and a frying pan (for the sear portion) for thick cut steaks.
It's the same theory with different hardware.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="007bond-jb":kb3pn48z]I like to sear mine 1st, it keeps in the juice that way, then finish it indirect.

Actually searing does NOT seal the juices in...........it simply caramelizes the outside making it nice and tasty.[/quote:kb3pn48z]

You need a stick in U hand when say dat ;)
You have more control over the finished doneness searing first. :shock:

007bond-jb said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":wt8il8vb][quote="007bond-jb":wt8il8vb]I like to sear mine 1st, it keeps in the juice that way, then finish it indirect.

Actually searing does NOT seal the juices in...........it simply caramelizes the outside making it nice and tasty.[/quote:wt8il8vb]

You need a stick in U hand when say dat ;)
You have more control over the finished doneness searing first. :shock:[/quote:wt8il8vb]
Okay I got da stick in my hand and we're gonna agree to disagree on the sear first vs. after method. You listenin' boy? :LOL:

Like I said if a method works for one and not the other, then just use the method that's suites your liking bettah! Lookey hera boy, listen to me! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom