Beef Tenderloin this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Captain Morgan said:
"And they're off!"

No, No, No, I'm not arguing about it or even fighting! I really like JB, he just cooks his steaks wrong, that's all! :shock:

No offence taken... I've never tried the roast then sear method but I will.
No arguments either, if a method works hell, do dat. I saw some TV chefs do the sear 1st then finish in the oven so I figured this was the norm done at steak houses. An larry I like you too. Send me a Wolf rubb T shirt & I'll wear when I film ma clips... I wear XXL ;) But after readin bout Greg I don't want to say I like him, Just send me a shirt Greg:) :) ;)

007bond-jb said:
No arguments either, if a method works hell, do dat. I saw some TV chefs do the sear 1st then finish in the oven so I figured this was the norm done at steak houses. An larry I like you too. Send me a Wolf rubb T shirt & I'll wear when I film ma clips... I wear XXL ;) But after readin bout Greg I don't want to say I like him, Just send me a shirt Greg:) :) ;)

That's not a bad idea!!! When you get your TV show on the Food Network you gotta promise to wear it then too! :D

You don't like me? That cuts deep... :cry:

So, what temp are you guys doing the steaks at first before the sear at the end?

Greg Rempe said:
You don't like me? That cuts deep... :cry:

So, what temp are you guys doing the steaks at first before the sear at the end?

Who said we didn't like you?

Cook the steaks/roast in the 250-275* range until you are about 15* away from your desired finish temp, then sear.

007bond-jb said:

How about a Steer Crazy BBQ Shirt??? Would you wear one of those??

SteerCrazy said:
007bond-jb said:

How about a Steer Crazy BBQ Shirt??? Would you wear one of those??
I will gladly rotate the shirts flick to flick. :D You know why JB wears Black shirts? Cause day hide da stains from ma food. An Greg git a grip man... I was only kiddin bout the kiddin part :roll:

Through trial and error I've begun to sear my steaks first. I've ruined alot of cuts of meat cooking different ways and finally learned that if you do not want a dry peice of meat that tastes good but is not at all juicy and tender you need to sear it first.

I pile my coals dead center in my grill and sear first over the fire, then move the meat to the side and finish or finish in some foil.

On a side note... my Dad's steaks come out better than any steakhouse I have EVER eaten at. So if you think he is doing them wrong... I'm scared of what you call right.

BMChevyGrl said:
Through trial and error I've begun to sear my steaks first. I've ruined alot of cuts of meat cooking different ways and finally learned that if you do not want a dry peice of meat that tastes good but is not at all juicy and tender you need to sear it first.

I pile my coals dead center in my grill and sear first over the fire, then move the meat to the side and finish or finish in some foil.

On a side note... Dad's steaks come out better than any steakhouse I have EVER eaten at. So if you think he is doing them wrong... I'm scared of what you call right.

Allrite girl & tanks, do em how YOU LIKE EM...JB's dad always marinaded the steaks in Italian dressing, Thats fine for pork0r chickens, but beef, yuck I'm over dat... Yall

BMChevyGrl said:

On a side note... my Dad's steaks come out better than any steakhouse I have EVER eaten at. So if you think he is doing them wrong... I'm scared of what you call right.

Now LOOKIE HERE GIRL!! (snap snap of my stick) I AIN'T NEVAH SAID YO DADDY'S STEAKS WERE DONE WRONG! I simply said searing does not seal in da juices and I am right and you are wrong! [smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif]

I got a question on the topic... If you smoke,roast,whatever first then sear
& you want a nice rare steak, warm center. what internal temp do you pull the steak to start the sear? It would depend on how hot your pit, broiler or pan is right? lets say you got a comecial salamander or a modified gas grill like mine thats hot as heck. I'm just woundering how to be consitant with the results.

007bond-jb said:
I got a question on the topic... If you smoke,roast,whatever first then sear
& you want a nice rare steak, warm center. what internal temp do you pull the steak to start the sear? It would depend on how hot your pit, broiler or pan is right? lets say you got a comecial salamander or a modified gas grill like mine thats hot as heck. I'm just woundering how to be consitant with the results.

Pull it off the cooker when you get to within 15* or so of your desired finish temp, then sear as hot as possible until you get within a couple degrees of your desired doneness and pull and let rest. The carryover heat will finish the steak to your desired temp.

JB,
If you want to assure that you won't over shoot your desire finish temp:

Roast until 15* under your desired finish temp.
Let meat rest until temp drops a few degrees.
(While meat is resting) Get whatever you are using to sear up to searing temps.
Sear meat on all sides.

By letting the meat rest while you are getting your grill to high heat, you let the juices redistribute and the meat relax. If you have high enough heat when searing you won't hardly even change the internal temp of the meat and therefore not need to rest the meat when you're finished searing.

I get the grill as hot as possible, throw some bacon on and then the steaks. They stay long enough to get grill marks then flipped over, same thing. They are only on about 2-2 1/2 minutes the first side and 1-1 1/2 minutes the second side. Let them sit for 5 minutes and they are plenty juicy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom