"BB's"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Bold Burgers! Ground chuck and Bold Wolfe Rub, grilled with a couple hickory chunks mixed in. Turned out awesome!!

Larry Wolfe said:
Bold Burgers! Ground chuck and Bold Wolfe Rub, grilled with a couple hickory chunks mixed in. Turned out awesome!!
Ground chuck ... brings up a question. In my household we're kinda conscious of limiting fat and cholesterol when we can (which makes smoking pork an unlikely hobby), and I'm wondering what kind of ground beef most of you guys use for burgers.

Depending on what you read, undifferentiated "ground beef" is about 30% fat, ground chuck is about 20%, ground round about 15%, and ground sirloin about 10%. (Never mind that the butcher adds fat to get up to these percentages.)

What's the leanest you'll go for a tasty, not-dry burger? Am I assuming correctly that you use pure, unadulterated meat? (Not counting anything you put on the outside.)

--John 8)
(Maybe this has been answered somewhere before. If so, I apologize for being a n00b. ;) )
(BTW, Larry, those burgers look really good!)

John,

Personally, I find that an 80/20 mix gives the best flavor burger and usually will not dry out if cooked properly, which to me is medium. Can't stand well done anything.

Costco sells an 85/15 and while leaner it just doesn't seem to have as good a flavor. I wouldn't even try ground sirloin for burger.

Of course, opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the mangement of BBQ-4-U, it's sponsors or advertisers.

Unity said:
Ground chuck ... brings up a question. In my household we're kinda conscious of limiting fat and cholesterol when we can (which makes smoking pork an unlikely hobby), and I'm wondering what kind of ground beef most of you guys use for burgers.

Depending on what you read, undifferentiated "ground beef" is about 30% fat, ground chuck is about 20%, ground round about 15%, and ground sirloin about 10%. (Never mind that the butcher adds fat to get up to these percentages.)

What's the leanest you'll go for a tasty, not-dry burger? Am I assuming correctly that you use pure, unadulterated meat? (Not counting anything you put on the outside.)

Ground chuck is by far my favorite. You need the fat for the flavor, otherwise you're gonna be disappointed with a bland and in most cases dry burger. Unless you're eating a unusually high fat diet everday, a good 80/20 mix of grilled ground meat won't hurt you every now and then. Enjoy life, it's very short!

one of the stores up here has been putting "stew meat" on sale , mar4king the packages either chuck, sirloin or mixed. I occasionally buy one sirloin and one chuck and grind them together, trimming off any fat the seems excessive. Make the burger a little dense, but the flavors are great and I have never dried them out cooking them so I reckon the fat content is ok.

I love burgers over a charcoal fire. What great flavor. Looks mighty fine Larry.

Hey Lisa, did he pay you for your review? LOL

Great looking Crabby Patties Larry.

I use Ground Chuck myself. I mix in some steak seasoning and woosty to the raw meat, then flatten the patty between the back side of two plates.

Unity said:
Larry Wolfe said:

--John 8)
(Maybe this has been answered somewhere before. If so, I apologize for being a n00b. ;) )
(BTW, Larry, those burgers look really good!)

At my house I like to get a 80% lean and mix it with ground turkey. You get the flavor and moisture of the fat but with the turkey it's not as fatty

Greg Rempe said:
80/20 is the only way to go...I still don't get hickory and beef though! :?

Are you from Texas and believe there is only one way to do things and that there is only one meat that can be called BBQ???

Killer burgers Larry! Call me odd, (and you will) we never buy ground beef, I prefer to grind my own. Any chuck that is on sale be it steak or roast gets ground up at home and put into one pound packages for the deep freezer. We typically grind 25 to 30 pounds at a time saving some chunks for stew or chili, where are the pickels? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom