"BB's"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yeah Scotty!!! That's the doneness I wanted mine at, but I over cooked mine!! Man they look good bud!!

Bruce B said:
if cooked properly, which to me is medium.
Medium ... raises another question. :LOL: Once again, sources vary on what "medium" means, but I think most people understand it to mean pink, warm center, no red juice. How pink and how warm is okay?

Wikipedia said:
The gradations in common use in most English-speaking countries are:
# Very Rare: barely seared, very red and juicy; 115-125°F (46-52°C)
# Rare: a cool red center; pink otherwise; 125-130°F (52-54.5°C)
# Medium rare: a warm red center, otherwise pink; 130-140°F (54.5-60°C)
# Medium: slightly pink center, otherwise brown; 140-150°F (60-65.5°C)
# Medium well: mostly grey-brown with a hint of pink; 150-160°F (65.5-71°C)
# Well done: grey-brown throughout with no sign of pink; 160°F (71°C)
USDA said:
Fresh Beef
Medium Rare ... 145
Medium ........... 160
Well Done ........ 170
Hormel Foods said:
Bacteria such as E. Coli may be present on any cut of beef, but it is most common on ground beef because the grinding process may distribute the bacteria throughout the meat. Ground beef must be cooked until the internal temperature reaches a minimum of 160°F to ensure that dangerous bacteria are destroyed.

Ground beef dishes such as meatloaf should be checked for doneness with a meat thermometer. This is especially important when the meat has been blended with dark sauces that can mask the color of the meat, making it difficult to determine if any pink color remains, which would indicate that the ground beef is not fully cooked.
I grew up hearing that bacteria can easily get a foothold on unwashed grinder surfaces between jobs, and then the colonies get transferred into the next batch of ground meat; and ground meat itself -- because of its greater surface area and greater exposure to the air -- is a better growth medium than whole meat for some kinds of bacteria, including coliform bacteria.

My thinking is that anytime ground beef is cooked to less than 160° it may be unsafe. Whadda you guys think?

--John 8)

now this is just one guy...but I have a neighbor that works in foodservice at a childrens hospital of all places , and according to him once the internal temp hits 140 they stop worrying.... he didnt say anything about poultry. i prefer my burgers md/rare at the most, though with kids I will cook to medium many times just so I dont have to hear it

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":15rxdnl7]80/20 is the only way to go...I still don't get hickory and beef though! :?

Are you from Texas and believe there is only one way to do things and that there is only one meat that can be called BBQ???[/quote:15rxdnl7]

No, I guess it's just personal taste...I've had hickory smoke on steaks before and it was not very good. Sorry if I offended you! :cry:

I'M TAKING MY CHANCES, THAT'S WHY I HAVE INSURANCE! THESE DO GOODING, I'M LOOKING OUT FOR YOU A$$HOLES, HAVE ALREADY MADE ME MOVE UP FROM MEDIUM RARE, I REFUSE TO GO ANY HIGHER!!!

Off my soap-box now.

Greg Rempe said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":303n9fkd][quote="Greg Rempe":303n9fkd]80/20 is the only way to go...I still don't get hickory and beef though! :?

Are you from Texas and believe there is only one way to do things and that there is only one meat that can be called BBQ???[/quote:303n9fkd]

No, I guess it's just personal taste...I've had hickory smoke on steaks before and it was not very good. Sorry if I offended you! :cry:[/quote:303n9fkd]

You didn't offend me! [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

Bruce B said:
I'M TAKING MY CHANCES, THAT'S WHY I HAVE INSURANCE! THESE DO GOODING, I'M LOOKING OUT FOR YOU A$$HOLES, HAVE ALREADY MADE ME MOVE UP FROM MEDIUM RARE, I REFUSE TO GO ANY HIGHER!!!

Off my soap-box now.
If you're talkin' steaks, I'll have mine rare, medium-rare at most. :D

--John 8)
(But not hamburger.)

ScottyDaQ said:
Unity said:
Bruce B said:
Thanks Nick, what's happened to all the manly men around here?
I'm gonna go put on my camo outfit and NASCAR hat. :P

--John 8)
('N scratch 'n belch some. ;) )

Too funny. I have on camo shorts and a Kevin Harvick hat.
Harvick :roll: ;)

Great looking ground beef there Larry!!!

Got my Wolfe Rub Bold this week so decided the first test would be some of those good looking burgers. Ground up some chuck and sirloin and mixed in the Bold. Grilled em up with some yukon golds and put them on grilled sour dough. Taste was great. My daughter really loved them. Cant wait to try it on the chuck I just bought. Hopefully that will be tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom