Apple Smoked Turkey Pastrami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oak

Senior Cook
I grilled some apple smoked turkey pastrami this past weekend. The rub only needs 24 hours and the turkey comes out very moist. It makes a great Rachel. :D

4323752086_e0eba046a7.jpg

4323752628_75ef89f7ea.jpg

Whew that do look good. I got one sorta like that for Christmas. It was heavy smoked boneless breastes and heavy coated in black peppa and cured to the bone. They just had it labled as smoked turkey. Nice feller by the name of Wheeler makes em. Comes cryoed in a cute little cloth bag etc. Sure yours taste mo betta than that one and it was excellent. Now whut do a breastes require to earn the title of pastrami? Thanks.

bigwheel

Griff said:
bigwheel said:
Now whut do a breastes require to earn the title of pastrami? Thanks.
bigwheel

Good question Jeff. What do you do?

Pastrami is meat that is cured with salt and then smoked. Derrick Riches has several good articles on pastrami http://bbq.about.com/cs/barbecuetips/a/aa022302a.htm

This turkey pastrami recipe is easy since you simply put the rub on and let the meat cure in the refrigerator for 24 hours. You then cook it with indirect heat around 300º for 1½ to 2 hours until the breast measures 170. The rub is the following from Raichlen 2001, How to Grill:

3 tbs coriander seeds (coarsely chopped in a mortar with pestle of coffee grinder)
3 tbs cracked black pepper
6 cloves garlic minced
1½ tps yellow mustard seed
¼ C coarse salt
¼ C firmly packed brown sugar
¼ C sweet paprika
1 tbs ground ginger
1 tsp ground mace

1 turkey breast (4-5 pounds)

This is some of the best turkey I have ever had and I hate white meat. I like to serve it on rye bread with sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Thousand Island dressing. Fry the sammie in a tablespoon of butter with a lid on until the bread is nicely toasted. Flip and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes until the second side is toasted. Eat well.

Regards,
Oak

Back
Top Bottom