Pictures from Smyrna, TN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You aint kidding.. It's nice there.. I need a vacation!
Thanks for Sharing

brian j said:
nice pics. who was sam davis?
This will give you better info than I can just off the top of my head.

On November 19, 1863, Davis is said to have spent the night at Campbellsville, at the home of Bob English. The next day Davis, carrying important documents to General Braxton Bragg at Chattanooga, was captured fifteen miles south of Pulaski, Tennessee, on Lamb's Ferry Road, below Minor Hill. Two Union soldiers dressed in Confederate uniforms approached young Davis and told him that they were conscripting. Davis replied that he was already a Confederate soldier and showed them his pass. He was dressed in his own Confederate Uniform. The soldiers led him to their commanding officer, who took his gun. A search revealed papers in the soles of his boots and saddle. He was taken to Pulaski and imprisoned in jail on the northwest corner of the square, at the location of today's Hunter-Smith Furniture Store, in a building that later burned. He was court marshalled, then condemned to death by hanging. General Dodge offered young Davis his freedom if he would reveal the source of his information. Davis replied, If I had a thousand lives, I would give them all here before I would betray a friend or the confidence of my informer. On November 27, 1863, Sam rode in a wagon, seated upon his own coffin, from the Giles County jail to a hill in east Pulaski, overlooking the town. There he died the death of a hero. He was 21 years old.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom