Memphis is May

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Memphis In Mud is how the locals refer to it. Never fails to get a deluge. If you're lucky you might be treated to a tornado or two. I know a few years ago they evacuated the park where the contest is held but several of the hardcore barbecuers refused to leave.

It's a great time and I higly recommend it. Supposedly you can call ahead locally and they'll try to hook you up with a team from your area.
Everything there is a private party. I was able to talk my way into an invitation from Terry Black of Super Smokers BBQ. Super nice guy. I introduced myself to him there and complimented him on the DVD that he put out along with Jeff Stehney and Mike Davis (the Arkansas Mike Davis not the Oklahoma one) and how much it had helped and he invited me in to the party. I was there when the judges came through. Since Memphis In May uses on site judging as a compenent of the overall score, the BS there runs deeper than the mud. Terry greated the judges with a sorbet and asked them to use it to cleanse their palate and get the nasty taste of the last BBQ they had judged out of their mouth.

Hit all the BBQ joints you can while you're there too. We did Rendevous and Nealy's Interstate BBQ. Also saw Graceland and the Lorain Hotel where Martin Luther King was killed as well. Don't forget the Peabody Hotel and the parade of Ducks either.

I will pass that along to the web master. It will probably stay the same. Just shows how dysfunctional we are.

I think it was 3 years ago the storm blew in. Our team stayed. The last 2 years it has not rained. Lot’s of fun. The team I am on are great people. They will take new members. Contact me or them on there site if you want to come to MIM. Like the other post says it is invitational to get in the booths.

Finney said:
woodman3222 said:
I will be going down to MIM. Part of the Crosstown Neighborhood Association.

http://www.crosstowncookers.org

Woodman3222, you might want to have the person incharge of your site fix the spelling for "shoulder" in the trophies and placing section.

Looks like fun...

Kloset BBQR said:
Memphis In Mud is how the locals refer to it. Never fails to get a deluge. If you're lucky you might be treated to a tornado or two. I know a few years ago they evacuated the park where the contest is held but several of the hardcore barbecuers refused to leave.

It's a great time and I higly recommend it. Supposedly you can call ahead locally and they'll try to hook you up with a team from your area.
Everything there is a private party. I was able to talk my way into an invitation from Terry Black of Super Smokers BBQ. Super nice guy. I introduced myself to him there and complimented him on the DVD that he put out along with Jeff Stehney and Mike Davis (the Arkansas Mike Davis not the Oklahoma one) and how much it had helped and he invited me in to the party. I was there when the judges came through. Since Memphis In May uses on site judging as a compenent of the overall score, the BS there runs deeper than the mud. Terry greated the judges with a sorbet and asked them to use it to cleanse their palate and get the nasty taste of the last BBQ they had judged out of their mouth.

Hit all the BBQ joints you can while you're there too. We did Rendevous and Nealy's Interstate BBQ. Also saw Graceland and the Lorain Hotel where Martin Luther King was killed as well. Don't forget the Peabody Hotel and the parade of Ducks either.

Did you get to see "the bathroom" where he shit himself to death? :shock:

Kloset BBQR said:

Did you get to see "the bathroom" where he shit himself to death? :shock:

Nope, the upstairs which includes the master bedroom and bathroom is off limits to the public.

I do find it somewhat appropriate though that the King died while on the Throne! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom