Mark's Feed Store & Bar-B-Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
So I am in Louisville for the week and figured I'd try to scout some local BBQ joints to try. I was told to go to Mark's for some good Q. So, a co-worker and me headed up there and here's how it went.

The place itself was nice...felt like a Q joint. Smallish...no frills type atmosphere and VERY casual. The servers had change holsters on the hips...I love those things! Our server was a nice guy and very fast with the service.

I opted for the "Biggest BBQ Sandwich in The World" and my buddy got the ribs and chicken combo. My meal was very average. The pork was indeed dry and a tad rubberish. The sauce was good, I used the Mark's original (mustard based) sauce and they also had a Tomato based sauce on the table too. It smelled like a lot of liquid smoke in that one...not for me.

There was little smoke flavor on the meat but there was some semblance of a smoke ring. The cole slaw was very good and I also had a side of fried corn on the cob that was very good! Then the buttermilk bites for a finisher! That was the best part of the meal for sure.

My buddy said his ribs were not so "fall of the bone" as the menu claimed and the chicken was a tad dry as well. I asked the server how the meat was prepared and he gave me a brief overview of how they pull it and that it is smoked over hickory. I asked him if there was really a pit back in the kitchen and he said yes...then back tracked a little by saying that the original Mark's had a big walk-in pit out back but when they moved in to this facility on Bardstown Road they started using an industrial type smoker! I asked to see it but was denied for heath code reasons. However, the server did say they he was going to be managing Thursday and if I wanted to stop back to see it he would let me see it then. Of course I did drop the site and a BBQ-4-U.com business card and tell him I was going to review the experience for the board.

Overall I was disappointed. I am hoping I can find a place that will dazzle me with Q that is better than what I make at home, but for now, I will keep looking. Would I tell you to go there? Yeah, it wasn't horrible but I imagine we can do better in our pits!

I did get a free appetizer card and a first timers 15% off total purchase for next time…if anyone is going to be in the Louisville, KY area and would like them, PM me and I will send them out to you. I have two of each!

Greg, I don't think you will ever find one better then yours. You have to remember that we all fine tune our Q to ourselves and our families.

I have tried Marks and people around here go crazy over it. I am with Greg. Average but very friendly.

Back
Top Bottom