Kentucky State Comp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleP

Sous Chef
I am jumping in about as unprepared as possible. June 2nd- 3rd. My plans are simple, have fun, drink beer "im good at that", learn, and not come in dead last in everything. If you have any tips, bring it on.

It is KCBS and no mutton allowed. Mutton is a regional thing on the other side of the mountains. Not from my side. We wear shoes over here too. :razz:
Oh I forgot, the comp is in Crestwood, which is about 15-20 miles away from downtown Louisville. I live about 5 minutes from where the comp takes place. We will be consuming plenty of cold beverages. We are good at that. We dont have a name yet but the application will be made out today. Going to go on a spending rampage buying things like pop up tent, and many more tools. This will be an exciting few weeks as we prepare.

Dale you are gonna love it. Most important, don't turn in any experiments. Know exactly what you're gonna turn in, and
set up a time schedule to make sure you have eveything ready
for turn in times.

You've probably cooked everything before, but now, do a practice
cook of everything at once! Get the team together, go over the plans wit the timing, and practice it! Great drinking opportunity, and you'll learn a lot.

While beginners don't ususually win, you'd be surprised how well
those that read boards like these do compared to others.

Lots of competitors here, start asking questions.

Hey Captain. I know that we will have fun and im looking forward to it. Problem is many of my buds want to help but I am the "so called" cook and they are not. They mean well, but this is my hobby. They just get fat from the Q I make, which is perfectly fine. I think you know what I am trying to say..

Some Questions for you guys:

How much help can you have, and do you need to have their names written in stone "because of the booze rule".

I see in the rules that you must turn in at least 6 portions, but have seen some boxes with more. What do you do?

Heres a dumb one. I have that southern hospitality thing bred in me and was wondering if teams cook food to share with other teams friday night, like ABTs or whatever? Thats what I want & plan to do.

I understand unless im very wrong that comp food tends to be on the sweet side. Is this so?

Chicken. I know that most use thighs, but what about the breast. Have any of you turned in the breast, boneless or bone in? Im leaning towards thighs, but my brother, who is going in half on this comp, wants to consider useing breast meat. I thought about cooking both, and turn in what we feel is best then. Believe me, nothing goes to waste around here.

I will probably have many more questions the next few weeks and I promise to have pics to share even if I come in last. This is going to be a trip. :thx:

Dale do you have a copy of KCBS rules? I printed one out for somewhere on the net, I can probably find that spot for you if you
don't have em.

The contests I go to here in SC allow 4 officials team members, but
there's no regulated limit to the number of "hangers on". It may be different in each individual event due to size limitations, etc.

Thighs and sweet taste are taking most of the high awards. I'd
follow the crowd for now.

For your pulled pork turn in, I'd definately have more than 6
individual pieces. The rules do say "at least". 6 pieces of pulled
pork might look a little scrawny in the box all alone.

Captain you are on it today! Thanks for the quick response. I did get a copy of the rules with my application and it seems that I can have as many members as I want. But with me being a local boy, im a bit worried about beer being passed around to the general public. I dont want to be DQed over something like that. Southern hospitality can get you in trouble if youre not careful. :razz:

I think Friday night you're mainly dealing with the other contestants,
so everything should be ok. You start passing out abts and beers, you're going to be very popular very quick.

Dale, there are a lot of contests that say "No booze" rule but the main thing is to keep it in the cooking area and not obvious. We usually use beer hugs or glasses to keep it down. I would not recomend just offering up a beer to just anyone. You will know who the other competitors are and they you...

We do cook for the team and anyone else willing to sample our "anything butt" that we prepare. =P~

No you do not need to list the names in your team. And you can have a bunch of help. Just keep everyone under control because you are responsable for them. :eek:

If you need a contest check sheet let me know. It always helps for those last minute things you may forget. :!:

Another question for the pros.
I am entering {Brisket, Ribs, Butt, Chicken, Anything But, & Peoples Choice} but im not so sure about the dessert catagory as of yet.

Heres my Q- How much do you turn in when entering "Anything But"? Dessert is a seperate contest from Anything But and Im not sure about portions in that catagory either.
I have a lot of learning to do, which is totally obvious.

Here ya go, Dale. Good Luck to ya

Contest Check List
Non-Food Products and Food Products
Cash
ATM Card
Aluminum foil
Meat thermometers
Beer
Aluminum pans
Paper plates
Briskets
Aprons
Paper towels
Chicken
Bleach
Pillows.Sleeping bags
Ice
Broom
Plastic chairs
Lettuce
Citronella candles
Plastic cups
Parsley
Cooker
Plastic wrap
Soda
Coolers
Pot holders
Pork butts
Cutting board
Silverware
Ribs
Dish rags
Sleeping bags
Rub
Dish soap
Spare cooker parts
Sauceq Duct Tape
Spatulas
Snacks
Electric knife
Spray bottle
Extension cords
Table covers
Fire starter
Tables
First Aid Kit
Tongs
Flashlights (& batteries)
Tool Box
Fuel (charcoal, wood, pellets)
Trash bags
Gasoline, fill up car
Tubs for dish washing
Generator
Outdoorlights
Water containers
Gloves, latex or rubber
Wet wipes
Hand soap
Ziploc bags (gallon size)
Knife sharpeners
Knives
Lawn chairs
Matches
Water

Well we are entered under the team name:
"Perry Brothers & Sons Bar BQ"
Look for us way down on the list!

I got a call today from the Louisville Courier-Journal and they interviewed me about the comp I entered. They said they are going to try and get pics of us practicing this weekend too. My wife is cracking up about this whole deal. She thinks im nuts anyhow. I just thought I would share this info, so when I come in last, remember, I am part of your Q family! Be easy on me.:razz:

We did make the paper and I would put it on here but have to admit that im puter ignorant. It is in the Louisville Courier Journal in the neighborhood section 5/31/06 with a pic too. If anyone has time & feels like checking, put up a link if you want. I thank you in advance.

Back
Top Bottom