Kentucky State Comp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will someone please post the text. I'm getting an error when I try to open the link. Thanks.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Festival will offer some thrilling grilling
Lions Club holds Crestwood event
By Andrea Uhde
auhde@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

First came the Big Green Egg. Then came the chicken.

Mike Stone of Prospect spent $700 on a charcoal grill called the Big Green Egg a year ago, and he's become a meat-cooking machine.

"We've become grill fanatics just in the past year," said Stone, who tosses chicken, ribs, beef and pork on the egg-shaped smoker and lets them sit for hours. "Before all this, I really hadn't done any kind of true barbecue."

But he's ready to test his skills by competing for the first time during the South Oldham Lions Club BBQ and Bluegrass Festival in Crestwood this weekend.

Stone will be up against 27 people from six states. They'll start cooking Friday night and finish by noon Saturday. That's when a panel of 35 judges will taste their efforts.

Contestants normally don't sell their food, but there will be vendors selling all sorts of barbecued meats during the two-day festival, which starts at 5 p.m. Friday.

There also will be bluegrass music, arts and crafts vendors, inflatable slides for children and plenty of other foods, such as nachos and cheese, hamburgers and hot dogs.

Tom Temple, who organizes the event, said he expects 3,000 to 5,000 people.

The festival, in its fourth year, raises money for the South Oldham Lions Club, a 50-year-old service group that performs eye exams on children and buys eyeglasses for indigent people, among other projects.

The cooks enjoy spending a night over a smoky grill, talking barbecue and making friends.

"I want to go around and talk all I can and ask questions and actually learn more about the ins and outs of competing," said Dale Perry of Centerfield, another cook who is new to the competition. He said he has six or seven smokers at home.

Perry said he'll bring four smokers and about 100 pounds of meat, and he'll end up spending $1,500 on the weekend.

"I know, I'm bad," he said. "I'm like a little kid whenever I get into something."

He hopes to win some money but admits: "I'll probably come in last."

The winner receives $1,800 and gets to enter the American Royal Barbecue competition in Kansas City.

"It would mean a lot to win anything against these kinds of people," Stone said.

Even if he doesn't win, he said, he gets satisfaction out of grilling.

"It's nice to be able to say, 'Yeah, I made that,' " he said. "Something about grilling feels -- maybe it's more manly. It's more acceptable for a guy. I like the things that cook overnight because when you get up early in the morning, it's just you. It's very quiet and still."

Reporter Andrea Uhde can be reached at (502) 582-4663.

Print this article | Go back

Captain Morgan said:
[quote="brian j":1ox051ha]great little article. i guess you got your 15 minutes. :D

His first 15. More to come.[/quote:1ox051ha]

Yep! That's more than I've ever gotten! Well unless you consider the stellar podcast performance from me as part of the BBQ-4-U Comp Team. If Bill TGG could have only been so lucky!! :evillaugh:

Thanks for posting the link. Ive been running around spending moolah like crazy today. New pop up, lots of new spices to blend, ect. I did plug BBQ 4 U and TVWB but they didnt use it even though I gave all credit to both for helping me to get to this point. By the way, my wife is cool about all of this. She is a good one.

PS, My brother is tending the fie, my brother in law is the big guy in the back, me and my boy are wearing red.

Yeah I've tried to push BBQ4U, Rev Marvin's and Jack's comp team on several occasions, only to see my efforts on the editing room floor!
I'm like Kevin Costner in the Big Chill?

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Bueller? Good trivia there.

Nope Captain, you lost me on that one. By the way, im still packing but rain is pouring down now and looks like it will for at least half of the day. Should have spent more money on a better rain suit and a truck with a topper! It is hard to believe how much everything cost these days.

It was a blast. Met some great people, learned more than I ever thought possible, and blew it in what I thought would be my best entry "pork". There were 25 teams and my team ended up 21st. Here are the results.
Over All Top Ten-
1) Lotta Bull
2) Ba-B-Quau
3) Governors
4) Moonswinners
5) Pig Pak
6) Blind Rooster Seasonings
7) Egg & Family Stone "1st comp for this guy"
8) Double Bee BBQ
9) Hickory Flats
10) Ulcer Acres

Here are my results and excuses :razz:
Chicken-15th, no excuse, I thought it was excellent
Ribs-14th, see above
Pork-24th, enhanced butts, stupidity, done way to quick.
Brisket- 21st, we need practice, taste ok but needs help
Anything But- 10th, but we saw what others did, and we deserved 10th :razz:

We have pics that will be put up soon. Met some great folks and only 1 @zz Hole. Only let down was pork.

Sounds like a blast, 'cept for the @zz hole. :grin: Most important, you guys learned a ton! I'm sure you'll do much better next time! :(

Lookin' forward to the pics.

Dale sounds like a good time. Why do I get the feeling that the censor fairies were at work? Now that you’ve comped is there any advice you would like to share with those of us that are going to compete for the first time?

Glad you had such a good time. That's what really counts. Trophies and money make it easier for the outsides to understand why you want to do it, but it's really just for the comradery and the love of BBQ.

Win or Lose, Good Job. =D>

BTW, Kevin Costner was in the movie The Big Chill along with Kevin
Kline, Tom Berenger, Jeff Goldblum, Glenn Klose et al. He played
Alex, the guy who comitted suicide. It was Costners first big break.
They were going to show him in flashbacks. However, the director
cut all his scenes out. The only shot of him is the very beginning of
the movie when they show the mortician pulling a sleeve over his slashed wrist.

Of course, he recovered and made millions.

Captain Morgan said:
BTW, Kevin Costner was in the movie The Big Chill along with Kevin
Kline, Tom Berenger, Jeff Goldblum, Glenn Klose et al. He played
Alex, the guy who comitted suicide. It was Costners first big break.
They were going to show him in flashbacks. However, the director
cut all his scenes out. The only shot of him is the very beginning of
the movie when they show the mortician pulling a sleeve over his slashed wrist.

Of course, he recovered and made millions.
I never knew that, it's my wife's favorite movie.
Great piece of trivia Cap :!:

Hey Wittdog. If there is only one thing that I could have done before my first comp, it would take a judgeing class so I could find out what they are looking for in BBQ. My chicken was to die for, and my ribs were incredible. I knew our name was going to be called for one of them, but it didnt happen.
Some things I should have done:
1)Dont wait like an idiot to get all of your meat. Thursday night at Sams we went to get butts and they were sold out. Couldnt get anything I liked, settled for enhanced which I hate. My butcher only sells enhanced butts for reasons I dont understand, but his ribs are good.

2) Stick to a plan. A guy I met at the comp talked me into wrapping my pork and it turned to mush. I never have wrapped before other than to hurry a cook up, and it bit me in the butt, so to speak. That was about the time the beer kicked in.

3) Dont get drunk until you know you have your times set perfect. Especially dont get drunk your first comp.

4) Practice practice practice. Keep all times logged, and stick to a strict schedule.

5) Learn to cook sweet comp Q. The guys next to us let me sample there chicken, which had a good but strong sweet flavor, and the skin was black. Black black, not sort of black but BLACK. :razz: They didnt win 1st place but got called in the top 10. Great guys though. If you guys who made the black chicken read this, just wave the ribbon in front of my nose next time you see me and say ha ha.

6) If the comp you get into has contest on Friday, try and enter just for practice. We had fun doing the "anything but" turn in.

Well I could go on and on but practice is what it takes. The weird part was that my team enjoyed the pressure of the turn ins more than anything. That was fun to us. I wish I could do another comp this weekend but it is expensive. There is a new pit coming to the Perry household too. :D Just got to find the right one. We are hooked.

My wife came Saturday and helped on the peoples choice and she LOVED it. She wants me to try some more comps and she knows that I will need a tow behind or whatever I decide on as I enter more and more comps. Aint she sweet. And if I had a 100 bottles of my sauce, I could have sold every one. And hats & tee shirts too.
One last thing. Dont be afraid to enter a comp for fear of failure. Hell, I feel like I won, and my team mates are stoked about doing another.

Thanks for the advice Dale. I can't wait to see what shows at your house next....My wife is like yours 100 percent behind me. I can't wait for Oinktoberfest. Thanks for all the great advice if you think of anything else let me know.

Back
Top Bottom