Help! Please critique this box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire

we don't get breakdowns on the score, so my horrible score
could easily have been more on the aroma, taste and tenderness
categories....what's wrong with the above picture?

Dude, where's the lettuce? :shock: ;)

I always put both pulled and chunked in my box. Maybe a little sauce if it's not for color and maybe a little more meat. Fill up the box. Other than that, I would take a chunk if offered. Looks inviting.

Jim the pork looks great, but more in the box would have helped! I've had your pork, so I know it was good!!!

They increased the size of the box!!!
I guess I should have filled it up. I just wanted
everything in there to be perfect, and hoped
the judges would think that way.

Thanks for the comments and keep em coming.

I would fill the box up way more. Also I like to arrange my pieces in a circular pattern (thats just me though) looks tasty!

Garnish is against the rules in SCBA comps.
The pic looks dry, while the meat actually was
probably a little soggy. I've got some ideas
about why it sucked, and presentation is not
highly counted in SCBA anyway, but I thought I'd
ask. I am terrible at presentation..in fact, my best
Barbe-Cutie, Rita, is a CIA grad, and probably
put us over the top on Friday. She couldn't be
there Saturday.

It's mostly IBCA here so we don't even have to fiddle with trimming the chicken. Just throw a half chicken in the box!

Captain Morgan said:

we don't get breakdowns on the score, so my horrible score
could easily have been more on the aroma, taste and tenderness
categories....what's wrong with the above picture?

Cappy the only thing I can say by just looking at it is that you should have loaded that box for all it was worth. It looks tasty. I tend to load all I can in the turn in box for the judges and the grazing table , but keeping it looking good at the same time. More is better!!!!!

Capt. I think picture 12 looks alot better :D ! I agree with every one else, needed more meat. try chopping some and put that on the bottom and then put your pulled on top. same look, just looks full and maybe higher up in the box.

Jim,

I think the pork looks good, what there is of it. It's probably not good when you can see the bottom of the box through the meat.

Other than that though, as far as the meat goes it looks moist and it has that "I'd Eat That" look. Perhaps the judges expect to see more pulled meat or chopped meat in the box to go along with the chunks. Maybe more bark pieces too.

yeah, I think you guys are right. I'm terrible at
building boxes, but I should have chopped up a layer
for the bottom to add more substance. Looks like
low scores across the board.

pork

I am probably not worthy of a technical response here but, before I read any of these posts i looked at the picture and thought to myself "wow that doesnt look like very much"......Hope that helps. db

keystone cookers...

hey captian

I like to make a pile in middle of the box and burnt ends around the outside works good for me made the finals 2007 ham jam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom