Carolina Q Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Captain Morgan said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":1f5k2ff1]It all looked very good guys! Quite a step up in overall placement from SOTB!! =D>

Are you implying something? If Finney hadn't been there, Jack probably would have won.[/quote:1f5k2ff1]

Just stating facts sir...that's all!! :) #-o :D

Hi guys,
Hade a great time wit Jack this weekend and used it as a 'working education' even though it was tons of fun.

The hog was flipped once in the wee hours of the morning, or the late hours of the evening depending on how you want to look at it. Our camera crew had left before then and I guess they were busy when 'Cricket' first got put on there.

That was one pretty finished pigs. The picture makes the bark look darker than it was. 'Cricket' was a beautiful golden cherry color with (of course) darker areas of bark.

The meat was all very moist but not mushy. The loin was not dry at all. The hams pulled great even though if you look close at the pictures of the box and of the hog presentation, you will see that we chopped the ham meat. Looking at the turn in box you can see three distinct sections (and types) of meat. 1- Chopped hams, 2- Pulled rib, loin, belly (center of pig meat), 3- Pulled shoulder meat.

Big GQ at 1 am is something you should all experience. He is a great guy. We went walking around to a few of the other sites together. He knows some interesting people. (That's for sure)

In closing... I had a great time, enjoyed all the company. Jack is a wealth of BBQ knowledge, even if Jethro says he knows more than Jack ever will. Jack's family is great to be around and all chip in and help.
And... boy do they throw a spread on Friday night that they graciously included friends of mine that came from Charleston, SC and Charlotte, NC.

Great pics Finnster, you guys done did good. One thing I don't understand, Larry keeps telling me you're black, you don't look black at all. :grin: :grin:

man I hate I missed it.

Finney, between me and you, I think we now know all of Jack's secrets.
Maybe we should publish a book or something.

I really really wish I could have tasted that. I spent Friday night fighting with my daughter instead. Geez.

Anyway, the Carolina Q cup site still hasn't posted the scores, hoping
your shrimp and grits did well.

Captain Morgan said:
man I hate I missed it.

I really really wish I could have tasted that. I spent Friday night fighting with my daughter instead. Geez.

Yeah, a Secrets from the other side of the Presentation Table.

Finney said:
Captain Morgan said:
man I hate I missed it.

As soon as the scores are out I will post them on the board. Everybody has a secrete or 2 to go around , I have a sauce that would be killer even if its fruit based, between all the mustard, vinegar, pepper ,and tomato based sauces it would stand out and be noticed to say the least.

who will have the scores first, the Q cup site or the SCBA site?
I noticed last year they only listed the top three anything butt scores.

Captain Morgan said:
who will have the scores first, the Q cup site or the SCBA site?
I noticed last year they only listed the top three anything butt scores.

All I can tell ya is that time I see em I will post them.
Probably wont be till Tuesday but I check all sites at least everyday.

Finney said:
Captain Morgan said:
man I hate I missed it.

Finney will tell you there really aren't many secrets. It's just like most things in competition, you have to execute the basics without error. There isn't much room for error when your cooking against the talent that was around us. It's even tougher at Ladson Fairgrounds. Incidently Cappy, I gave Finney your quart of secrets. Maybe he'll share.

I sure thought that branding iron was cool at Chuckwagon. What a touch.

Good Q!

Jack

******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finney, give me my quart of secret!!!!!!! I'll be in Charleston in 2 hours you bastard!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom