Bamberg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great pics Chris, thanks. It was great meeting you and the rest of the Pigs on the Wing crew. Good to see Jack and Mary again. Thanks for the hospitality and letting us share the grub Friday night.
We had a great time at this contest, even though there were only nine teams....although, maybe that's why it was so much fun.
The Bayou BBQ crew had a pretty good showing with 2nd in shoulders and 3rd in ribs. Our next contest will be in March at the Palmetto Pig Pickin.

Hey Gang,

What a great weekend for a contest. The venue was small, but the competition was pretty stiff.

Congratulations to Russ and crew at Bayou BBQ for a fantastic showing. The fried chicken on Friday was really good, but the venision poppers were a huge hit.

It dosen't ever seem to get any easier, it just flows more smoothly these days. Many thanks to a great group of cooks that help put this show together. Thanks to Finney and the Big GQ for their efforts. I hope The Big GQ learned a little and can apply some of the knowledge to his efforts in the future.

Let there be no doubt that Finney is a hell of a cook. He executed all of the plans to the letter, and helped us put our best foot forward. His taste buds and candid critiques are refreshing and help us grow as a team. Thanks dude!

Here is my take. We cooked a good hog using our ususal techniques shy of glazing it for presentation. It's possible that eliminating the glazing step hurt our final product. I won't eliminate it again in the future. The hog box looked awesome. Every part of that hog was represented classically. I find it hard to swallow that someone can take a hog, pulverize it with a clever, add sauce, and win an whole hog contest. It's dissappointing at best.

The shoulders were fantastic. The two that beat us had to have some damn fine pork. The box looked great.

The ribs lacked our signature zing. I went with a whiskey glaze and dropped the pepper jelly. I think I'll return to the fork in the road.

What can I say about chicken. I got the recipe, I didn't execute the plan. You can bet I will next time.

I cooked a "bangin'" pot of chili for Friday night.

Jethro cooked a marinated flank wrapped around a scallion, with a thai peanut dipping sauce. The "refined" judges didn't know that the "stuff in the tomato was a dippin' sauce". Actually, it was in a red pepper, and one judge told me they ate it with a spoon. :roll: The only issue was in the scallion. It didn't have good bite through.

All in all it was a great weekend. All of my pics are dupes of what is posted. Ya'll keep those box pics away from JT. He know's enough already. :P :P

It was good Q!

Jack

Finney said:
My big surprise of the weekend was that I seem to have a "fan base" of people in the SCBA that actually like for me to post on their bulletin board. :shock: Who'da figgered? :roll:

I think they're trying to show that they accept people who live an "Alternate" Lifestyle. At least that's my understanding when the guy said, "who's the flamming fag in the red crocs"? :shock:

Finney said:
Captain Morgan said:
Yeah, I heard your biggest fan was there.
Yeah, but he still doesn't know I'm "me". [smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif]

It's actually amazing that I keep yelling "FINNEY" when superfan is around and he still is either ambivilent or ignorant. Choice!

Good Q!

Jack

oct_97 said:
Guys, that is some fabulous looking food. What do you do with all of it after the contest?

The team members and friends get what they want. The rest went to Jethro's freezer to be used as a fund raiser for the American Heart Assoc. All except the ribs that is... we ate those.

Good Q!

Jack

Jack W. said:
[quote="oct_97":24ls7u2h]Guys, that is some fabulous looking food. What do you do with all of it after the contest?

The team members and friends get what they want. The rest went to Jethro's freezer to be used as a fund raiser for the American Heart Assoc. All except the ribs that is... we ate those.

Good Q!

Jack[/quote:24ls7u2h]

You've got too many friends.... I wanted more food. LOL :roll:

Finney said:
Jack W. said:
[quote="oct_97":22gwe80h]Guys, that is some fabulous looking food. What do you do with all of it after the contest?

Good Q!

Jack

You've got too many friends.... I wanted more food. LOL :roll:[/quote:22gwe80h]

Free agents fend for themselves! :P :P

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom