1st Annual North Carolina Brunswick Stew Cook Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
whoops, yep, I just didn't want to out into that cold. Plus, I didn't
know any of the other guys, and the main reason I love bbq comps
is hanging out with guys I know.

plus, it wasn't in Myrtle Beach.

Posted on Mon, Feb. 02, 2009
Scrumptious stews warm Brunswick bellies
By Jo Ann Mathews
For The Sun News
The half-dozen people in Bob Williford's booth at the first Brunswick Stew Cook-off on Saturday cheered every time someone dropped a People's Choice ticket in their voting jar.

"When we're not pouring concrete or erecting steel, we like to make stew," said Williford, senior project manager for Brasfield & Gorrie General Contractors.

Williford explained that the crew had stew competitions to determine which recipe was the best. Frank Haren, assistant project manager, won and cooked the five gallons that would eventually win the People's Choice award.

About 1,000 people attended the newest addition to Brunswick County events, which the Brunswick County Chamber of Commerce hosted along with the Rourk Woods development in Shallotte, N.C.

"We're going to make this happen year after year," said Cathy Altman, the chamber's president and chief executive. "I think this really hit the spot. People were ready for something in January."

A warm, fuzzy feeling rippled through the crowd as people congregated, tasted, nodded or frowned after tasting one of the stews. Of the 21 contestants in the cook-off, five were media, six were restaurants and 10 were individual entrants.

"Oh, this is spicy and a little sweet," said Kathy Woods of Calabash, N.C., about the stew at the ATMC booth. "I like it."

"It has a little nip to it," added her husband, John Woods.

Douglas Terhune of Shallotte, N.C., displayed signs saying "Put some South in your mouth," He said he put molasses, white wine vinegar and Tabasco sauce in his stew.

Judges chose Williford and his associates for the Best Individual award and presented them with a $100 check and a plaque. The group also received the People's Choice award and received a brown ceramic pot and a $300 check.

Darin Dangora of Calabash, N.C., preferred the stew Barbara and Cameron Bush cooked at the booth for National Public Radio station WHQR-91.3 in Wilmington, N.C.

"It has the most authentic taste," he said. "It's balanced. It's not too salty, not too sweet. It has a rich taste."

Judges deemed the radio station best in the Media category and also presented the Camerons with the Best Overall award for its stew.

Well sounds like yall had a blast there Cappy. Congrats to all them who won..placed..showed or showed up.

bigwheel

Cappy, you could have kicked their butts -- PLUS -- it was Frozen Few Weekend, and if you had done Brunswick Stew the old-fashioned way in your iron pot, you would have qualified for Arctic Survivor. The judges would have been wowed. :(

--John

Ahhh it has just now dawned on me that my hero Cappy apparently pussed out on even going to the contest. :cry:

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom